MakeMKV and Samsung DNLA TVs (B650 etc)

Everything related to MakeMKV
david1969

MakeMKV and Samsung DNLA TVs (B650 etc)

Post by david1969 »

I'm trying to find the best software to archive my DVDs, to put them on my NAS running Twonky and then view over DNLA on my Samsung B650 LCD TV.

According to the manual, the Samsung suppports MKV containers with the following payloads:

Divx 3.11
MP3, AC3, LPCM, ADPCM (MULAW
ALAW), AAC
Divx 4.x
Divx 5.1
Divx 6.0
XviD
H.264 BP
H.264 MP
H.264 HP
MPEG-4 SP
MPEG-4 ASP

However the files produced by MakeMKV do not play.

Is there any way to select which codec MakeMKV uses? In fact which codec does it use?

I also know that the Samsung TVs are quite picky. For example when using Handbrake to produce an H.264 encoded file, the "WEB OPTIMISED" flag must be set in order for the TV to recognise the resultant file.

Help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Taddeusz

Re: MakeMKV and Samsung DNLA TVs (B650 etc)

Post by Taddeusz »

You won't have any luck with MakeMKV then. This program does not transcode the video. All it does is takes the video and audio losslessly from a DVD or BD and converts it to MKV. For DVD's this is going to be MPEG2 video and most commonly Dolby Digital audio (although it could be DTS or PCM audio depending on the DVD). For BD the video could be H.264 (AVC), VC-1 or MPEG2 for the video and several formats of audio. You're better off using a program like Handbrake to transcode the video to an acceptable format. Particularly if your source is a DVD as your TV doesn't support MPEG2 at all. Sorry, MakeMKV is not the program for you. Good luck!