why is it creating multiple files?

Everything related to MakeMKV
shazeh

why is it creating multiple files?

Post by shazeh »

i just loaded in my dvd of the hangover to make an mkv file. why did it create 15 mkv files? did it make an mkv for each video ts file? i thought the point of this is to make a single mkv file?
setarip_old

Re: why is it creating multiple files?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Have you played each of the created .MKV files to see what they contain?

Does the disc have two versions of the movie (widescreen and fullscreen) and many separate "Extras"?

frosch1

Post by frosch1 »

hi, I'm also evaluation MakeMKV. I'm using it e.g. to create a single MKV-File from a blue-ray disk or even more accurate from a blue ray folder on a harddisk.
I observe the same problem. The blueray consists of multiple m2ts files and MakeMKV creates 11 output files. That is by far not what I want to have. Maybe this is based on the blue ray disk structure and the chapters on there but at least we needan option to create one combined MKV file.
You've explained that MKV mergeing is not that simple so that is even a reason more to provide that within MKV otherwise a need a second program for merging them. That is not acceptable. The resulted clips are looging like chapters but if you play the blue ray with any player, it plays all in a sequence and that is why I wanted to have it in one mkv file and not in 11 clips.
so I guess that whould be a feature request to specifiy which clips shall be joined into the same mkv file.
goingbust

Post by goingbust »

Mostly, I find the movie is the one big file. The smaller files are actor interviews, little featurettes with a bunch of still images, and the like. If you don't want them, why not delete them out? Personally, I wouldn't want that crap merged onto a main file anyway 99% of the time.
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

Frosch, I'm not sure I understand what you really want here.

Do you want to have a single MKV-file that includes absolutely everything from a blu-ray? Movie, trailers, warnings, extras, everything? In a single mkv-file?

If that's the case, it's simply not possible with the MKV-format. It's actually very uncommon that absolutely everything on a disc has the same resolution/framerate/codec, and you cannot mix resolutions, framerates or codecs within a single MKV-file.

It sounds that what you really want is to rip to ISO, and in that case, MakeMKV is not the tool for you.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

trondmm wrote:It sounds that what you really want is to rip to ISO, and in that case, MakeMKV is not the tool for you.
You can use "backup" from menu to get a copy of original blu-ray disc, optionally with all files decrypted.
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

mike admin wrote:
trondmm wrote:It sounds that what you really want is to rip to ISO, and in that case, MakeMKV is not the tool for you.
You can use "backup" from menu to get a copy of original blu-ray disc, optionally with all files decrypted.
Yeah, that's true. It won't be a single file, though.
frosch1

Post by frosch1 »

hello guys, thanks for the answers but I really know what I want and have watched all of the files which are created and some of them are introduction and pre/post chapters. some of them are just the copyright infos. But a couple of them are good parts of the overall blue ray disk and are in exact the same format blue ray format as the main movie. I think the sw could easily detect what chapters can be merged together basded on the format.
I'm smart enough to know, that I delete the files I don't need ;-), but I wanted to keep them and why not just support a simple selection list of the chapters I wanted to be merged together into one mkv. I don't want to watch one movie with the desired chapters have them splitted in 3-5 mkv files. I think you understand that.
HairyScot

Post by HairyScot »

I have a similar situation with a blu-ray version of Constantine which is about 27GB.

MakeMKV produces 20 MKV files, 3 of around 11GB and the rest of various sizes.
The 11GB files all seem to be complete copies of the movie, so which which do you keep?
The others are the specials, scenes etc.

I just need to know which of Title00/01/03 I should retain.

Have attached list of the MKV files.
Attachments
const mkv.jpg
const mkv.jpg (123.85 KiB) Viewed 27318 times
HairyScot

Post by HairyScot »

Further to my previous post, attachment showing the interim info from MakeMKV.
Attachments
const mkv.jpg
const mkv.jpg (310.21 KiB) Viewed 27316 times