makemkv marks first subtitle default, it probably shouldn't do this automatically

Everything related to MakeMKV
thetoad

makemkv marks first subtitle default, it probably shouldn't do this automatically

Post by thetoad »

as the subject says, if one selects 1 or more subtitles, makemkv sets the first one in its order (per priority) with the default flag set on it. This means that players that respect the default flag (say vlc) will automatically display it and require the user to disable it if they don't want the to be displayed. I want to argue that MakeMKV shouldn't set the default flag on any subtitle automatically unless the user specified it as I would argue the common case is to not display subtitles always, but only at the user's request (exception for a "forced sub" track on an english audio film with forced subs for foreign language spoken parts or similarly for non english films).

TLDR: while there are good reasons to occasionally set the default flag for subs, I really do think that it shouldn't be the "default" and only at user specification.
Radiocomms237

Re: makemkv marks first subtitle default, it probably shouldn't do this automatically

Post by Radiocomms237 »

To be fair to MakeMKV, I believe it's specified somewhere in the Matrokska Standards that the first subtitle track is set to "Default" (sorry, I tried to find the specific page but couldn't)?

But yes, I agree that it's a PITA. I assume you know that this behaviour can be modified in MakeMKV's profiles?