Not seeing Na'vi subtitles in Avatar 1 & 2 4k/bd release

Everything related to MakeMKV
Giffdev

Not seeing Na'vi subtitles in Avatar 1 & 2 4k/bd release

Post by Giffdev »

Hey folks,
sorry if this has been posted in the past related to the previous BD releases, but I recently was backing up my 4k and BD discs of the new Avatar and Avatar Way of Water and noticed the Na'vi language isn't showing up in my MKV file. Normally, this is just related to a secondary English sub track that I use MKV Tool Nix GUI to set to "forced" and I'm all good, but in these discs there only seems to be one English subtitle track and no way to display the Na'vi text. I'm sure someone has cracked this nut before, so can someone point me to a walkthrough of what's needed to see the Na'vi language?
Chetwood

Re: Not seeing Na'vi subtitles in Avatar 1 & 2 4k/bd release

Post by Chetwood »

Avatar 1 has been discussed to death as one example where there's actually forced items inside the subtitle stream. When you check the box for

Subtitles PGS English (forced only)

MakeMKV will rip them as an extra stream to your MKV. I would suspect the same happening with Avatar 2.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
SlyMikael

Post by SlyMikael »

Chetwood wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:59 pm
Avatar 1 has been discussed to death as one example where there's actually forced items inside the subtitle stream. When you check the box for

MakeMKV will rip them as an extra stream to your MKV. I would suspect the same happening with Avatar 2.
I'm having the same issue. After ripping, however, I can only get the Na'vi translations for other languages besides English. There was not a second subtitle stream for English on either the 4k disc or the standard bluray. However, playing back in an actual player, I did get English subs. So they're definitely on the disc, but for whatever reason I'm not seeing them.

See the below images. This scene should have a translation, but it just says "speaking Na'vi" when I try the only English subtitle option. I also tried the 2nd Spanish option, this worked fine (except it's in Spanish :cry: )
SlyMikael

Post by SlyMikael »

SlyMikael wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:40 pm
Chetwood wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:59 pm

I'm having the same issue. After ripping, however, I can only get the Na'vi translations for other languages besides English. There was not a second subtitle stream for English on either the 4k disc or the standard bluray. However, playing back in an actual player, I did get English subs. So they're definitely on the disc, but for whatever reason I'm not seeing them.

See the below images. This scene should have a translation, but it just says "speaking Na'vi" when I try the only English subtitle option. I also tried the 2nd Spanish option, this worked fine (except it's in Spanish :cry: )
Follow-up. Choosing the 2nd option in makemkv resolved the issue. Make sure to choose Source File name: 00800.mpls as it looks like the segment maps are different (subs must be burned right into the video stream instead of a sub track)
Anthepioneer

Post by Anthepioneer »

Thanks for that VERY useful information. I often wondered why some discs have two copies of what appears to be the same film on them. And sadly you can't assume that the first file is necessarily the correct one to use. I came across a difference with Thor Ragnarok UHD BD where the title "Thor Ragnarok" (08:27) appears to have what I think is a German translation under the English title.

Anthony
Anthony
Peterborough (UK)