1.17.4 Deleting Failed RIP

Everything related to MakeMKV
5to20

1.17.4 Deleting Failed RIP

Post by 5to20 »

I updated from 1.17.3 to 1.17.4 today. I had (2) blu-ray rips fail and their .mkv files deleted when I acknowledged the failed attempt. I like to keep the files and compare them to additional attempts on another drives/PCs. I don't see an option in Preferences to go back to how 1.17.3 worked. Am I missing something in this new version?
Woodstock

Re: 1.17.4 Deleting Failed RIP

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV has always deleted rips that could not be completed. If you want to compare the files to others, you have to catch them before the delete occurs, which would be rather difficult.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
5to20

Post by 5to20 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:49 am
MakeMKV has always deleted rips that could not be completed.
Something in 1.17.3 didn't and that was a very useful "feature." When a RIP fails, I try it on a second computer/drive. If it fails with the exact same file size, I assume it's the disc and work on getting ahold of a second copy. If it's a completely different size I often restart MakeMKV on the first computer and a decent number of them will then succeed. I was having issues when working on my collection conversion from disc to network drive. Forgot why I was using 1.17.3 and upgraded to 1.17.5 to see if that fixed anything so ran into this deletion on fail issue again. Will try to revert back to 1.17.3 again to get my saved failed files back. Would be nice if deletion was an option in future versions.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

All versions of MakeMKV I've tried (going back to 1.5.6 in 2010) have removed failed rips automatically; if the rip completed, the file was left on the disk, otherwise it was deleted. It has been a pain at times, but, if MakeMKV left the file, it was ripped "properly".

That's ripping by FILE, not a "full disk rip" done on a bluray disk. Those can end up with certain files m2ts and mpls files deleted as unreadable, but ripping to MKV files should only leave the file if it was read completely. I have a few of those hanging around from tests I did.

Which are you doing?
5to20

Post by 5to20 »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:55 am
Which are you doing?
I'm ripping MKV files. Converting my disc collection to a NAS Plex Server collection.

Guess I got lucky then that my 1.17.3 version was leaving the files behind. They've been very useful. Especially ripping on 2 computers at once or when my mind blanks on what I was just trying to rip.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ah, another Multi Ripper! It gets phun when you're ripping on computers with more than one drive in them, running multiple copies of MakeMKV so you can do them all at the same time. Which disk did I put in which drive?

(but I would NEVER do anything like THAT!)
5to20

Post by 5to20 »

I haven't tried multiple copies of MakeMKV to do dual rips on the same machine. I've a big desk and picked up a second computer for $99. I did revert both of my computers from 1.17.5 back to 1.17.3 They are now both saving the failed RIP files. Appears 1.17.3 Windows release has a bug that I consider a feature. :D
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you do decide to go with multiple rips on one machine, you'll want to tell MakeMKV to ask about single-drive mode on start-up. That's on the Preferences->IO page, "Ask for single drive mode". The default is "all drives", but it lets you run with multiple copies, each tied to a single drive.
5to20

Post by 5to20 »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:43 pm
If you do decide to go with multiple rips on one machine, you'll want to tell MakeMKV to ask about single-drive mode on start-up.
Thank you. That worked well. Perfect for loading up the machines when I'm stepping away from the desk for a while. Combined time for by my DVD and Blu Ray drive on same machine ripping MKV files was a bit more than if I'd run them individually.