Can't Decrypt 'The Thing' 4k

Everything related to MakeMKV
Armchair

Can't Decrypt 'The Thing' 4k

Post by Armchair »

I'm trying to make an MKV from 'The Thing' 4k, but it fails with the message "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted".

I don't seem to have the 'Automatic HK downloading' issue that some others are reporting. Does that mean that MakeMKV just doesn't have the key for this disk, yet?

P.S. I've successfully ripped many disks over the past several weeks. I rippped 'Sicario' 4k just before I tried this one. I haven't made any hardware changes and I'm using the latest version of MakeMKV for Windows (1.17.4).
dcoke22

Re: Can't Decrypt 'The Thing' 4k

Post by dcoke22 »

Yes. You should email the dump file MakeMKV generated to svq@makemkv.com.

UHD FAQ

Also, post the name of the dump file here so people can know if their disc needs the same key as yours.
Armchair

Post by Armchair »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:32 pm
Yes. You should email the dump file MakeMKV generated to svq@makemkv.com.

UHD FAQ

Also, post the name of the dump file here so people can know if their disc needs the same key as yours.
Thanks. I've emailed the dump file 'MKB20_v76_The_Thing_EC75'.
ckambler

Post by ckambler »

I have another version of this movie, the dump file is MKB20_v76_The_Thing_9289.tgz

Submitted the file a week ago, still can't decrypt it. Is there any list to check what decryption keys have been loaded or not? This is the 1982 movie, for reference.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

ckambler wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:12 am
I have another version of this movie, the dump file is MKB20_v76_The_Thing_9289.tgz

Submitted the file a week ago, still can't decrypt it. Is there any list to check what decryption keys have been loaded or not? This is the 1982 movie, for reference.
It might take more than a week. As long as you're not getting a "Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed" message in your log, it'll eventually show up.

There's no official list to check. Often times if someone posts the version they sent in, they'll come back after it works to say so.