Forced Subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
adrian

Re: Forced Subtitles

Post by adrian »

Which language would you burn into the video for a multi-language release?
dbone1026

Post by dbone1026 »

ldoodle wrote:Surely if the language is different, as in films like Apocalypto or District 9, the text should be burnt into the video, as no one would want to not see it.

I've just ripped Fast and Furious (2008) Bluray using 1.4.10 and the spanish guys foreign language is subtitled, so why would it be different for District 9?
Really the key is to pick up on the forced flag. For instance, if you have never seen District 9 you would have no clue that you would need subtitles as much if the movie is in English (of course assuming English is your native language)
Cheers,
Damian

blog - http://dbone1026.blogspot.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
JustinChase

Post by JustinChase »

I have just discovered this program,and have ripped a few DVD's and a couple of Blu-Ray discs. The DVD's seem to work fine in regards to forced subtitles, and the subtitles in general actually. I can select which stream I want, and all is well.

However, Blu-Ray is not as compliant. Neither the forced, nor any subtitles are played back from the resulting mkv files. I can see them in my player, but selecting them has no effect, they do not playback. I have played with the filters in the player, but no luck so far. I honestly can't tell if it's the mkv problem, or a player/filter problem, but with all the fiddling around I've done, I'm leaning towards the mkv's being the problem, especially with this having been said...
mike admin wrote:I see the problem - request noted, sometime in future MakeMKV will recognize forced flag and show it in GUI.
This is welcome news. Any idea when this will be implemented?

Also, what do I need to do to get subtitles to work; not forced subtitles, just subtitles in general. My wife is no a native english speaker, and sometimes prefers to have subtitles while watching.

Assuming makemkv is not going to be able to have/get this working soon, what other method might I use to get them working? I've been reading for days, and see lots of ideas and methods, but nearly all of them involve anydvd, which I'm prefer to not purchase.

other ideas are to remux the mkv after changing the subtitle type, but I am still pretty new and don't know how to un-mux to get to the streams to make changes.

Is there someplace I can go to read on how to do this. I don't mind doing the extra work to get the subtitles fixed/added to the mkv files, until this great program can handle it for us, but I just can't figure out what exactly I need to do, or which of the myriad of programs to start using.

Any help or guidance is very much appreciated.

thanks
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@ldoodle
so why would it be different for District 9?
If you've read this thread (and another one or two about the same topic), you'd surely realize that your question has already been answered:

The studios and DVD manufacturers have three options regarding "limited"/"specialized" subtitles:

1) A separate subtitle stream containing ONLY the "limited"/"specialized" subtitles

2) Within the "normal", full subtitle stream, flag each line of the "limited"/"specialized" subtitles as "FORCED"

3) Burn the "limited"/"specialized" subtitles as part of the video itself
dandirk

Post by dandirk »

I know just finding forced subs is a huge win.

I would like to make another sub request...

If at all possible have an option to strip subtitle streams to ONLY forces subs. As mentioned some titles use the forced flag instead of a separate stream. Some players (XBMC) do not support the forced flag...
t11chb

Post by t11chb »

I'm having the same problem with Angels & Demons, however MakeMKV shows "Forced Subs", but when i run it through HandBrake i get nothing.

Anyone found a solution?
dbone1026

Post by dbone1026 »

t11chb wrote:I'm having the same problem with Angels & Demons, however MakeMKV shows "Forced Subs", but when i run it through HandBrake i get nothing.

Anyone found a solution?
If this a SD DVD or Blu Ray? If Blu Ray possibly Handbrake does not support PGS subtitles (in which case you can use BDSup2Sub to convert to IDX/SUB)
Cheers,
Damian

twa000

Post by twa000 »

dandirk wrote:I know just finding forced subs is a huge win.

If at all possible have an option to strip subtitle streams to ONLY forces subs. As mentioned some titles use the forced flag instead of a separate stream. Some players (XBMC) do not support the forced flag...
I would appreciate this - I have a HDI Dune media player which since last weeks firmware upgrade now display sub-titles - great :D but it shows the normal sub titles as normal and I have to go and choose the forced subtitle stream.
I know pure laziness but I would prefer to select options at the Makemkv stage :mrgreen:
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

twa000 wrote:
dandirk wrote:I know just finding forced subs is a huge win.

I would appreciate this - I have a HDI Dune media player which since last weeks firmware upgrade now display sub-titles - great :D but it shows the normal sub titles as normal and I have to go and choose the forced subtitle stream.
I know pure laziness but I would prefer to select options at the Makemkv stage :mrgreen:
It, uh, already does this now, yea? Just click the forced sub checkbox for each subtitle track and it'll create a separate forced sub track if any forced subs are found.
matrg

Post by matrg »

I cannot find the 'Forced only' option for DVD subtitles, it only appears for Blu-ray. Is this a bug?
dbone1026

Post by dbone1026 »

Couple of questions:

- I think the answer is yes, but when MakeMKV grabs the subtitles if there is a forced track it creates a separate subtitle track for this, correct (i.e. so lets say you have one PGS track that has embedded subtitles, after MakeMKV does its thing you will now have two subtitle tracks, the full track and the forced sub)?
- If forced tracks are found does MakeMKV set the forced flag to Yes?I was testing out a rip I did with MakeMKV (i.e. District 9) and when I throw the resulting mkv into mkvmerge none of the tracks are tagged as forced (although the forced subtitle track is definitely there)
Cheers,
Damian