Extract Subtitles as separate files?

Everything related to MakeMKV
pehoma4194

Extract Subtitles as separate files?

Post by pehoma4194 »

I did search first and didn't see this asked so forgive me if I missed anything.

I've been using MakeMKV for a little while and it's working well. However, I'm wondering if it's possible for the program to to extract the subtitles as separate files while creating the MKV. To be clear, I don't want them OCR'd or converted to SRT, I just want the IDX/SUB that it's including inside the MKV to be outside. I know there are other programs that can extract idx/sub from a DVD and I tried a few, but none worked well.

In the final folder I'd like:
B9_t00.mkv
B9_t00_track3_eng.idx
B9_t00_track3_eng.sub

So far I've been converting each DVD twice, one with subtitles and one without. Then I'm extracting the idx/sub files with MKVExtractGUI2 from the MVK that includes them, but I'm hoping there is a way to avoid having to rip each disc twice just to get the idx/sub files separate.

Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: Extract Subtitles as separate files?

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV won't do it, but there is a tool in mkvtoolnix that will do it. Google will take you to the right place for it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Sunoo

Post by Sunoo »

I find MKVCleaver to be the easier way to extract a track (such as subtitles) from an MKV file. If you try to do it in MKVToolnix, it’ll make a MKS file which isn’t what you’re looking for.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

I use VSRip. When it's a tv show with several episodes, it's sometimes easier to remux the DVD first with DVD Shrink's re-author mode.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
pehoma4194

Post by pehoma4194 »

Sunoo wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:26 am
I find MKVCleaver to be the easier way to extract a track (such as subtitles) from an MKV file. If you try to do it in MKVToolnix, it’ll make a MKS file which isn’t what you’re looking for.
I'm working off a DVD directly, not an MKV. Extracting from an MKV is easy, and yes Cleaver is great.
Chetwood wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:53 am
I use VSRip. When it's a tv show with several episodes, it's sometimes easier to remux the DVD first with DVD Shrink's re-author mode.
I am working with a TV show, so yes, this would work, but again require basically ripping each episode twice just to get the subtites.

I appreciate the responses but looks like no easy way to get them direct from the disc, will have to continue ripping twice.