What's wrong with this forum and the people?

Everything related to MakeMKV
dcoke22

Re: What's wrong with this forum and the people?

Post by dcoke22 »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:38 pm
Fu.k! You guys should make this a sticky somewhere. The standard just sucks!
What theme are you using? I think the 'green-style' was the default for me when I joined, but I don't remember for sure.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:38 pm
Fu.k! You guys should make this a sticky somewhere. The standard just sucks!
Gotta try things out. The incurious miss out on the "good stuff". :D

This particular 'nit' is up to the board SW folks, not the forum, tho.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

It's invisible on the green style but available on the top left under "Quick links" as well. Make people aware of this. I would have never thought of that option to find it here! Either left or right or whatsoever. And tell them to activate emails for EVERYTHING. WE NEED A BIG STICKY FOR THAT!
MartletM

Post by MartletM »

Why not create a sticky for new users? Or if there is one where is?

I expect with a niche subject, people only come where with a specific issue. Once the issue is resolved, they don't hang around.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The problem is, what would you use for a subject that would get attention and use? For example, there are over half a dozen topics for one particular disk that "everyone" seems to have an issue with. When they are pointed out to the person who posted topic number X, "Oh, I didn't see the others with the same name in the same section of the forum!" or "But my copy had a different data key, so it's separate!"

New users see their issue as unique, so they do not seek out the same subject or similar messages. Older users think, "Here we go again!" and groan.

(not to mention the spammers who copy threads to post their spam sites in comments...)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MartletM

Post by MartletM »

Have new person sub forum, with lots of stickies. Put all the stuff you can't stand re-reading into there.
tcp100

Post by tcp100 »

Coopervid,

I may be one of those folks that didn't reply to your PM when you offered to help. The issue is - I couldn't. This board is very restrictive to new users, we can't even reply to PMs sent by long-standing users such as yourself.

I've had your PM in my inbox for a month now and I can't respond to it at all. I thought it was a timing thing, but apparently not, as I still can't respond!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

In defense of those who run the forum, there's a constant attack by spammers. It surely is hard to balance restrictions to keep spammers at bay vs enabling new users to fully use the forum.

Spammers usually reveal themselves within the first handful of posts they make, but often not the first post they make. Often the first post seems like a reasonable question from a new user.

One of the things I like about this forum is it is not polluted with a bunch of spam.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I still think it's much too restrictive and mods can delete spam easily. I just hate these rules for new forum members. Just my 2 cents.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

...and the users are the other factor. I provided a link for one of the last drives available that could be flashed and the OP doesn't read his PM. How stupid!
Legacy

Post by Legacy »

I'm new to this forum and certainly will respond to any answer regarding something I post. I recently posted one and it is awaiting moderator approval.

If I post in the forum and someone takes the time to respond, acknowledge that response is being respectful. Sorry for some of your experiences.

I'm assuming that I would be notified within the forum as to responses. Is that correct, or is there something else I need to keep an eye out for?
ronknights

Post by ronknights »

The lack of response is the same in most forums I've frequented in an over 20-year span.
I understand the restrictions on new user posts. Yes I find it a bit grating. But I don't post much in forums any more. Right now I'm mostly in the listening and learning mode here.