Best Audio choice to select when burning a movie

Everything related to MakeMKV
bubbascant

Best Audio choice to select when burning a movie

Post by bubbascant »

I am burning some movies and noticed several audio options (depending on the disc). I have a 9.1 (7.1 with two Atmos) and am trying to figure out which selection to make. I've reviewed many articles that say to include Stereo for those platforms so playback will work well such as on my iPhone or iPad. Shouldn't a regular 5.1 or 7.1 choice on a movie playback in on iPhone or iPad okay?

Here's my main question I'm trying to address. I have a movie that I'm getting ready to burn. Which audio choices should I choose? I have a high-end Sony projector, a 110" movie screen and B&W speakers so I want the best video and audio. Space on a hard-drive is no concern. So here is what I see for this movie. What do I do?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/arg4itdh ... arnxl&dl=0

It says VC-1
Audio - DD Surround 5.1
Audio - True HD Surround 5.1
Audio - DD Surround 5.1 (located underneath the True HD)
Audio - Stereo English
Audio - DD Surround 5.1 (listed a second time further down the list)

Which choice works best for a nice media room setup? Do I also choose Stereo along with one (or more) of the choices? I deeply appreciate the feedback.

And on Apple TV device playing back via Plex, the surround sound comes through but on Roku using Plex I'm only getting stereo. The setup is in a media room with a Sony projector, 110" screen and the aforementioned speaker surrounds. Perhaps it's a setting on Roku or Plex app in Roku but there really isn't a choice other than Allow DTS-HD (but selecting that doesn't make a difference, it's still only in Stereo).
dcoke22

Re: Best Audio choice to select when burning a movie

Post by dcoke22 »

Every movie will be a little different. You might have to listen to the various audio tracks to figure out what they are. One might be a descriptive audio track. One might be a commentary track. I have some movies that have an isolated score… no dialog or soundfx, just music.

In terms of format, Dolby TrueHD is a lossless multichannel format. DTS-HD Master Audio is the DTS lossless multichannel format, although on blu-rays, Dolby TrueHD is more common I think. If your playback setup can support those lossless formats, they're probably the 'best' choice.

From a portability perspective, a regular AC-3 Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track will be useful to just about every modern-ish player. An old iPad with only headphones will play a DD AC-3 5.1 audio track just fine.