DVD drive

Everything related to MakeMKV
Hunter21

DVD drive

Post by Hunter21 »

Hello all. I'm so sorry if this isn't the right place but I have literally just discovered makemkv and am quite excited. Now to the main question. I have, probably 200 DVDs. No blurays no UHD blurays nothing as fancy as that. Just DVDs. Is there any specific DVD drive I need? I won't be needing any UHD future proofing as I have zero intent on buying such media.

Tha k you very much for your help.
Woodstock

Re: DVD drive

Post by Woodstock »

Getting a "lesser drive" isn't going to save you much money. Do you want fast, or can you live with really slow?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Just about any DVD or blu-ray drive should work. As Woodstock suggested, if you're buying new, just get a UHD capable drive from the list here: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide

If you've got a drive lying around in a closet, give it a try. Or maybe a used one out of an old computer.
Hunter21

Post by Hunter21 »

Thank you both. Time isn't really a concern. I don't really see the point in forking out £170 for an UHD drive when I'll never use it. It's like buying a Ferrari to drive in a 20mph zone.

For what I need to do I suspect a normal DVD drive will suffice as on e I have it done that's pretty much it. I tend not to buy digital or physical media.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The problem is that "a normal DVD drive" isn't easy to find NEW. Everything readily available will be BD-capable, at least.

If new isn't a problem, a lot of people simply ask their friends for old drives when they upgrade. A lot of people got Bluray drives as part of new computers over the last 10 years, and rarely used them. Some sell them when they upgrade, others just give them away.

Collecting old drives can make you people's friend, too... :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Hunter21

Post by Hunter21 »

Yeah i see your point. Got an old BD you wanna sell Woodstock :wink:
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If you're in the Seattle area, I know these folks have piles of used DVD and blu-ray optical drives.

http://www.repc.com