Extremely slow (0.0x) processing speed

Everything related to MakeMKV
andreasxp

Extremely slow (0.0x) processing speed

Post by andreasxp »

I'm using v1.17.5 on Windows 11 to convert The Godfather p.2 from an index.bdmv file on disk (no optical drive).
Both the file and the destination are on a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus (nvme).

When starting, the speed stay at about 8x for a couple minutes and I see 100% disk usage in task manager. Then over the span of about a minute the speed falls to 0.0x or ~100K/s, with disk usage similarly going down to almost nothing. At this point the time left goes to 40 hours, and after 20 hours I gave up.

After searching the internet I tried to move files onto a different disk, and downloading and adding ccextractorwinfull.exe path to MakeMKV. This is my first time using MakeMKV and the same exact thing happened with The Godfather p.1 (I assumed it was a bad blu-ray file but now I'm not sure).

Can someone please help me achieve 10-15 minute times which everyone else seems to have?
Woodstock

Re: Extremely slow (0.0x) processing speed

Post by Woodstock »

I had this yesterday... and found a fingerprint on the surface of my brand new disk. Cleaned it off with a damp cloth, and the disk processed normally.

MakeMKV processes a disk as fast as your drive can read it. When it can't read part of it, it goes VERY slow to attempt to get it to read, and eventually will time out. Not much you can do about that, other than making sure disks are clean, and they are NOT necessarily "clean" when removed from their just-received packaging.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
andreasxp

Post by andreasxp »

Right, I've heard this but like I said I'm not using a disk. I'm reading from a blu-ray backup, just a folder with index.bdmv file. So no fingerprints or disk reading speed problems should affect me.

I suspect this might be a bug in the software.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

My usual workflow is to make a decrypted backup of a disc, then create .mkv files from the backup. When I make the decrypted backup, I'm limited by the speed of the optical drive. When I create .mkv files, I'm usually limited by my SSD speed. I'm usually creating .mkv files at 400MB/s when my source and destination are on the same array.

I think a non-trivial number of MakeMKV users have a similar workflow and are generally limited by disk speeds when creating .mkv files.

Are you sure there's enough free space on your disk? What happens if you make your destination different from the source?

What is the provenance of your source? Are you using MakeMKV to create a decrypted backup? If not, what happens if you make a decrypted backup of a disc with MakeMKV then try to create .mkv from that. Do your speeds improve?