Cleaning disk tricks

Everything related to MakeMKV
Jman5150

Cleaning disk tricks

Post by Jman5150 »

I have a disk that insists on 1 or 2 hash check failures. Been cleaning the hell out of it, I assume it’s the gas residue disks seem to have these days. I don’t see any scratches or imperfections at all. Anyone have cleaning tricks or protocol for new yet stubborn disks?
Radiocomms237

Re: Cleaning disk tricks

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I'm not suggesting that you do this (so don't sue me when your disc melts) but I use white vinegar and typically* three good quality micro-fiber cloths per disc: one with the vinegar on it to clean; another to dry; and a third to do a final polish.

*Sometimes, if it's still clean, I may re-use the step-three cloth from a previous disc for step-one on the next disc (just so I don't go through quite so many cloths, but they're cheap as chips off eBay anyway).

I find the white vinegar is powerful enough to remove just about anything that finds its way onto a disc and I haven't seen any bad side effects (yet anyway), and it kinda evaporates almost by itself as I'm drying so no chance of soap spots like other solutions.

Again, I am only relaying my personal experience... Enter at your own risk! :wink: