MakeMKV misses start of episodes

Everything related to MakeMKV
RAHRL

MakeMKV misses start of episodes

Post by RAHRL »

I have a few rare occasions where MakeMKV misses the start of an TV episode, i.e. the opening tune and the bit before that.

I always hade the impression I could rely 100% on MakeMKV. Either it fails or it will make a 100% copy. Obviously, that's not always the case.
Radiocomms237

Re: MakeMKV misses start of episodes

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Are we talking about a DVD or Blu-ray? DVDs don't have Hash Tables to verify file contents like Blu-rays.

Apologies if this seems obvious, but, have you played the disc in a regular household player to see whether those episodes are like that on the disc?

I've had quite a few instances where titles are cut on the disc itself, seems to happen with DVDs of older shows mostly.
RAHRL

Post by RAHRL »

Thx for your reply. I am referring to dvds, 99% of my rips are dvd. I ripped a complete box set of a tv series and, when assigning the episode names to the ripped mkv’s, noticed that just 1 of the about 100 episodes in the box set missed the opening tune and the small part before that. The missing part was about 30-40 seconds long. Still, the ripped mkv was coherent (i.e. a valid miv file) and both Kodi / VLC had no problem playing it.
When ripping the dvd, I did not see an error, but I am not completely sure about that.
Because it was the only ripped episode without the opening tune, I first thought of a production error of the dvd. So I tried playing the episode directly from dvd op my laptop and I noticed the missing part in the mkv file was present on the dvd.
Next thing I tried ripping the one pertaining epiosde with makeMKV again and this time it worked correctly including the missing part.
One possible explanation might be that I forgot to Open the disc and Makemkv used the table of contents of the previous disc in the box set. Could that be the reason?
Up till now, I have not seen a second example of this. So far I have ripped about 50 box sets and 500 movies. With just one other box set I had some other problem, but I will report about that in a new topic.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I don't think it's likely for MakeMKV to get the discs mixed up, it has always let me know if I have a different disc in the drive to what it was expecting.

I'd guess it simply skipped the first cell in that particular title for some reason? Did it say anything in the log to that effect?

It's lucky you picked it up so early, I don't usually find such problems until weeks (or months) later when somebody watches it on my Plex!

I'm glad you were able to re-rip and get the full episode.
RAHRL

Post by RAHRL »

The reason I picked up on the error was that, after ripping, I use title and season-/episode-number to rename the mkv file. Normally I consult the IMDB website, Wikipedia or the information on the box itself to find that information. Before assigning the name to the file, I first have to check to have the right mkv file at hand by playing it partially.

In the ideal case the ripped episodes are already in the right order. However this is not always the case. When many are in the right order, I might skip playing a few to save time. Matching mkv files with episode info can be rather tedious. Some videos don’t even have a title in the video, or at irregular places which makes them hard to find.

To be honest, I never delve into the log very much. Errors and warnings come up regularly and most of the time I don’t understand what they mean. And even if I did, there is not much I can do about them anyway. For example, today, with a different box set, I had errors like “cannot find cell for” and “calculated BUP offset does not match IFO-header” on several discs. But all titles seemed to rip fine.

Instead, I rely on MakeMKV to report when a rip is not a 100% copy. This happens now and then when the dvd reader has difficulties reading (parts of) the disc. In 90% of these cases cleaning a disc with a cloth solves the problem. Scratches are a far more serious problem.

The point I am trying to make is that MakeMKV did not report a clear error in the pertaining situation (or I missed it because it was hidden in the log). Up till now I have had the impression that every title I ripped soo far was a 100% copy. This example shows I can’t completely rely on that and it would take ages to check on each and everyone of them.

Anyway, thx for your comments and thoughts.