MakeMKV very buggy on windows 11

Everything related to MakeMKV
sjeff711

MakeMKV very buggy on windows 11

Post by sjeff711 »

I could not figure out why I was experiencing so many bugs trying to rip my blu rays on my new windows 11 PC. Constant stalling... error after error and not getting anywhere. I thought my drive had gone gimpy on me. So just for grins & giggles I decided to give it a shot on my old tower with windows 10... and POOF! Problems resolved. Zero issues. Every movie that I was having problems with on windows 11, ripped fine on windows 10. That kind of sucks! Is there a fix for this, or is the best fix to continue ripping on my old windows 10 PC?
Last edited by sjeff711 on Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: MKV very buggy on windows 11

Post by Woodstock »

More likely the cable you are using on Win11 is questionable; a LOT of people use MakeMKV on Win11. (not me, of course, but that's a different thing)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

MakeMKV works just fine on Windows 11. I use it all the time without issue with many different drives. Mostly Pioneer which is recommended.
sjeff711

Post by sjeff711 »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:49 am
More likely the cable you are using on Win11 is questionable; a LOT of people use MakeMKV on Win11. (not me, of course, but that's a different thing)
It's the same cable I used with my windows 10 system, which worked fine with no issues.
sjeff711

Post by sjeff711 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:06 am
MakeMKV works just fine on Windows 11. I use it all the time without issue with many different drives. Mostly Pioneer which is recommended.
So my question is, why is it buggy with me on my windows 11 desktop? I even tried ripping on my windows 11 laptop... same issues. But when I switched to my windows 10 system I'm having zero issues. Works just like it should. That clearly tells me it's something with windows 11.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

sjeff711 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:07 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
So my question is, why is it buggy with me on my windows 11 desktop? I even tried ripping on my windows 11 laptop... same issues. But when I switched to my windows 10 system I'm having zero issues. Works just like it should. That clearly tells me it's something with windows 11.
No, it tells you that there's something wrong with the systems running windows 11. Now if it was the SAME system running windows 10 vs windows 11, then maybe. But as there are a lot of people running MakeMKV just fine under windows 11, your premise that it must be windows 11 causing the issue is incorrect. Something on those systems is causing whatever issue you have. I've ripped several hundred discs just fine on my windows 11 laptop without issue. If it was "buggy" as you claim, I'd have run into all kinds of issues.
sjeff711

Post by sjeff711 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:56 pm
sjeff711 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
No, it tells you that there's something wrong with the systems running windows 11. Now if it was the SAME system running windows 10 vs windows 11, then maybe. But as there are a lot of people running MakeMKV just fine under windows 11, your premise that it must be windows 11 causing the issue is incorrect. Something on those systems is causing whatever issue you have. I've ripped several hundred discs just fine on my windows 11 laptop without issue. If it was "buggy" as you claim, I'd have run into all kinds of issues.
You are probably right then, but I cannot imagine what that would be, which is what I'm here to try and find out. I have to assume others have had similar issues on their system with win 11. Meanwhile it looks like my temporary fix is to continue to rip on my windows 10 PC. Thanks for the feedback!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

sjeff711 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:14 pm
You are probably right then, but I cannot imagine what that would be, which is what I'm here to try and find out. I have to assume others have had similar issues on their system with win 11. Meanwhile it looks like my temporary fix is to continue to rip on my windows 10 PC. Thanks for the feedback!
It could be a whole host of issues. I'm assuming since you said you connected them to a Win 11 laptop that these are in a USB enclosure of some kind. My first thought would be perhaps some kind of weird compatibility issue with that enclosure and Win 11. It would be strange that it works fine on Win 10 and not 11 but also not entirely unheard of either.
dcoke22

Re: MakeMKV very buggy on windows 11

Post by dcoke22 »

You could also post a MakeMKV log of it erroring out on your Win 11 system. There might be some useful information that the community could discover in there.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

sjeff711 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:14 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:56 pm
sjeff711 wrote:

Pretty sure it's a power issue with that Windows 11 computer. Put an active USB hub in between the drive and that computer or try another USB-C !!! port for providing power to the drive.
sjeff711

Post by sjeff711 »

For those of you that may encounter a similar issue, my problem is now resolved. My PC is an HP Omen 40L. I was using an external LG drive, via USB, which worked fine on my win 10 PC but not on the Omen win 11 PC. So I purchased an SATA internal drive and everything rips fine with zero issues now... not to mention much faster. So those of you that mentioned USB as the potential culprit, you were correct. Thank you :D
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

sjeff711 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:02 pm
For those of you that may encounter a similar issue, my problem is now resolved. My PC is an HP Omen 40L. I was using an external LG drive, via USB, which worked fine on my win 10 PC but not on the Omen win 11 PC. So I purchased an SATA internal drive and everything rips fine with zero issues now... not to mention much faster. So those of you that mentioned USB as the potential culprit, you were correct. Thank you :D
OK. A powered USB hub would have done it as well.
sjeff711

Post by sjeff711 »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:07 pm
sjeff711 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:02 pm
OK. A powered USB hub would have done it as well.
I was using a powered USB hub.