MakeMKV key expired

Everything related to MakeMKV
shadhall

MakeMKV key expired

Post by shadhall »

Hey - a happy new year to everyone!

I tried to start MakeMKV today and the program asked to update and told me that the key would have expired. So I downloaded the latest version from the website, which actually matched my installed version (1.17.5). I also copied the key from viewtopic.php?t=1053 to register and thepost says it's valid unitl end of January 2024, but the program says it was only valid until 1.1.2024.

I assume this is something to fix easily by updating the key post, but just wanted to bring it up in case anybody has any tips on how to mitigate on my end until this happens.

Best regards
outland

Re: MakeMKV key expired

Post by outland »

Same problem here.
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

Ditto, same here.
Windows:
Identifying The Correct Title To Rip: Process Monitor Method - GetMPLS Method
Mux/Remux: Set A Subtitle Stream On By Default (Forced)
RobTi

Post by RobTi »

And here at first as a new user I had ripped a few old dvds and today was my first blu and thought I had done something wrong. Should say I just want to check blu and 4k on my pc before buying
horacechaldoon

Post by horacechaldoon »

No could be a mistake and the beta key needs updating
rmarquez5

Post by rmarquez5 »

A new key needs to be issued by the dev. We just have to be patient
stevethornley

Post by stevethornley »

Same problem here. Following.
JJimbo

Post by JJimbo »

If your heart is set on ripping stuff today, note that, at least for me on Mac, downloading the program and installing it again (i.e. dragging it to the applications folder) resets the 30 day shareware clock, allowing you to rip today without a beta key. YMMV
RocketFromTheTombs

Post by RocketFromTheTombs »

Same issue here. Not a huge deal, I am used to waiting for an expired key to be updated, but the fact that it should be good until the end of January is kind of perplexing.
rileys888

Post by rileys888 »

same here hopefully it gets fixed soon
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Note that the DATE is checked when the program STARTS, and as long as it is running, the date can be "corrected" without stopping the program.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dahalb007

Post by dahalb007 »

are you suggesting the user should change the date somehow?
shadhall

Post by shadhall »

Probably my mistake, but I realized only now that it's actually possible to just buy the program, getting a license key that does not expire. Seeing the "MakeMKV is free while in beta" post somehow made me believe that "MakeMKV cannot be bought until it's no longer in beta" :D

So if you're in my camp and just never realized this was an option and have the means to do so, you can go to Help > Buy in MakeMKV, never (well, for the forseeable future) having to worry about this again.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

dahalb007 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:14 am
"Somehow" is usually very simple. On Windows, for example, at a command prompt, you type "date" followed by the date you want the computer to use. Start MakeMKV, then set the date to the current date.

My suggestion, as a registered user, is to get registered and never worry about it again. But I realize some people are seemingly violently opposed to doing that, if there is any way to use something for free. They'll avoid registering, as it costs the same as buying 3 to 6 movies.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dmitche3

Post by dmitche3 »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:14 pm
dahalb007 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:14 am
"Somehow" is usually very simple. On Windows, for example, at a command prompt, you type "date" followed by the date you want the computer to use. Start MakeMKV, then set the date to the current date.

My suggestion, as a registered user, is to get registered and never worry about it again. But I realize some people are seemingly violently opposed to doing that, if there is any way to use something for free. They'll avoid registering, as it costs the same as buying 3 to 6 movies.
I agree with you 100% about becoming a supporting registered user. I don't think that you'll find a better investment than this product and you'll help to assure that it remains available by supporting it.