A Christmas Story - turn off director's commentary

Everything related to MakeMKV
moviesjg

A Christmas Story - turn off director's commentary

Post by moviesjg »

I've ripped my A Christmas Story DVD to my Synology NAS. When playing back via Plex, I get the director's commentary and do not find an option to turn it off. Did discover the DD Mono English audio track does not play the commentary but I want stereo. What I see when preparing to rip is:
- Audio DD Mono English
- Audio DD Mono French
- Audio DD Stereo English (this is the one playing the commentary)

When I play the DVD in my freestanding player, it does not play the commentary and is in stereo.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

1st time posting. Did not find my answer by searching.
Woodstock

Re: A Christmas Story - turn off director's commentary

Post by Woodstock »

If you want stereo, you're not going to get the normal audio from the rip. And most playback software will take the FIRST local-language track unless told otherwise, so you may have to rearrange tracks to make sure the "regular" English track comes first.

If you use a tool like handbrake to process the MKV, you can also convert the mono tracks to stereo, and put them in the "correct order".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
moviesjg

Post by moviesjg »

Thanks for the quick response @Woodstock! I re-ripped the DVD, leaving out the:
- Audio DD Mono French
- Audio DD Stereo English (this is the one playing the commentary)

So, it just has the Audio DD Mono English track as part of the .mkv file and doesn't play the commentary. I left the .mkv file with all three audio tracks in my "extras" folder, relabeled with "Commentary" on the end.

My suspicion is the Audio DD Stereo English track is using the 2nd track of stereo for the commentary...
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

That movie has a mono soundtrack. Just about every release of that movie has mono audio.

The 4k release in 2022 claims to have a stereo track, but blu-ray.com's review theorizes that it is really the same mono audio split into a stereo track.