Title Audio Selection - Noob Question

Everything related to MakeMKV
CovertRain

Title Audio Selection - Noob Question

Post by CovertRain »

Hi all. I am new to this and learning. Trying to absorb as much of the threads as possible. On a big of information overload. I have a newbie question. When The disc is loaded I see that often you will get identical titles highlighted with identical audio tracks. So, even if I "unselect" all and pick the main title only, it still has all of the audio tracks under the formally checked titles. Am I supposed to leave those checked because I have been unchecking them all except for the audio under the primary title. Just want to make sure I am not leaving out "info" needed for my rips.

Thanks.
dcoke22

Re: Title Audio Selection - Noob Question

Post by dcoke22 »

If you uncheck a title, the state of any of the checkboxes under that title do not matter; no .mkv file for that title will be produced.
CovertRain

Post by CovertRain »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:16 pm
If you uncheck a title, the state of any of the checkboxes under that title do not matter; no .mkv file for that title will be produced.
Thank you. Can I ask another question? If I for example want to make sure I can see the subtitles for Alien language in a movie for example, is there a a specific track I should look for? I am using Plex and it seems like in a couple movies I have tested it’s not there. Any guide, thread or guidance would be appreciated.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Subtitle tracks in movies vary. Some have no subtitle tracks, yet they have text on the screen (usually in fancy fonts). Some have tracks for each translated language.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
CovertRain

Post by CovertRain »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:47 pm
Subtitle tracks in movies vary. Some have no subtitle tracks, yet they have text on the screen (usually in fancy fonts). Some have tracks for each translated language.
So right after I has posted, I started to learn that subtitles are not so straight forward. However, through a database I did find the subtitle track I was looking for for Star Wars the Phantom Menace Blu Ray which is the last "PGS English" selection. It contains only the alien language which I tested. I can only see the subtitles when I set it up manually in Plex.

If I am reading the other thread correctly, sounds like it's possible to change the defaults in the file to turn those on by default while ripping. I think via the Advanced tab "Default Selection Rule". I tried to follow some of the threads on this but it's a tad confusing for a first timer. Sounds like you can also do this post via MKVToolNix as well but I am trying to save a step while ripping. This is what I see "-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang".

If this is not possible at the time of ripping let me know. Thanks and again appreciate the patience as I learn.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If you want to set a particular subtitle track to have both the 'default' flag and the 'forced' flag set to true, in MakeMKV, highlight the subtitle track in question on the left and on the right, select MKV Flags in the dropdown box, then add the letters df. When you tab out of that field, you should see "MKV Flags: Default, Forced" added to the track information in the info box.

It is also very easy to change using the MKVToolNix tools. I use the command-line mkvpropedit utility, but the GUI works as well.
CovertRain

Post by CovertRain »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:55 am
If you want to set a particular subtitle track to have both the 'default' flag and the 'forced' flag set to true, in MakeMKV, highlight the subtitle track in question on the left and on the right, select MKV Flags in the dropdown box, then add the letters df. When you tab out of that field, you should see "MKV Flags: Default, Forced" added to the track information in the info box.

It is also very easy to change using the MKVToolNix tools. I use the command-line mkvpropedit utility, but the GUI works as well.
Thank you!