A few questions re 4k ripping

Everything related to MakeMKV
RobTi

A few questions re 4k ripping

Post by RobTi »

Just starting my 4k rips and possibly some stupid questions I have internet switched on
1,Does my player update automatically (worried that I lose functionality)
2. Are 4k rips direct copies (Dolby Atmos, Dolby vision,HDR10+ )
3. I keep seeing posts about key files how would I know that these are needed does makemkv pop up a notification?
Thanks
Nucleus

Re: A few questions re 4k ripping

Post by Nucleus »

RobTi wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:26 am
Just starting my 4k rips and possibly some stupid questions I have internet switched on
1,Does my player update automatically (worried that I lose functionality)
2. Are 4k rips direct copies (Dolby Atmos, Dolby vision,HDR10+ )
3. I keep seeing posts about key files how would I know that these are needed does makemkv pop up a notification?
Thanks
01. Don't understand, player update? What player?

02. Yes dependant on which audio/subtitle streams you choose to include in the rip - it's known as a REMUX = mux the original streams into a new .mkv, no encoding or modification has been applied = REMUX. MKVToolnix is the program(s) used for muxing/manipulating .mkv files (multiplexing). There's tons of posts on the forum regarding DV but this thread may be the most relevant about MakeMKV preserving DV - Dolby Vision. May be a good idea to skip to the latter pages as the thread is 113 pages long! :o

03. So long as you have "Expert Mode" and "Enable Internet Access" enabled in Preferences/General, MakeMKV will correctly identify the majority of discs, if it can't it will generate a .tgz file (dump file) which ppl then submit so the relevant key can be added to the database. You'll see where ppl submit these files for unrecognised UHD discs (I'd guess mostly newly released titles) in the UHD Discs sub form.

Windows:
Identifying The Correct Title To Rip: Process Monitor Method - GetMPLS Method
Mux/Remux: Set A Subtitle Stream On By Default (Forced)
RobTi

Post by RobTi »

thanks for the help i read all you posted, re no1 about updating, i have a Verbatim Blu-Ray DVD-Drive 43888 and as its all working fine i seen posts about upgrading the firm ware and wondered if this was automatic or you had to manually flash it ?
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

RobTi wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:55 am
thanks for the help i read all you posted, re no1 about updating, i have a Verbatim Blu-Ray DVD-Drive 43888 and as its all working fine i seen posts about upgrading the firm ware and wondered if this was automatic or you had to manually flash it ?
I'm not up on the flashing stuff, what can be/can't be flashed to become UHD friendly, various firmwares etc. Maybe you could post that specific question in the UHD Drives sub forum and one of the folks who know that stuff will assist you.
Windows:
Identifying The Correct Title To Rip: Process Monitor Method - GetMPLS Method
Mux/Remux: Set A Subtitle Stream On By Default (Forced)
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

RobTi wrote:
NEVER flash a Pioneer drive that works with Makemkv!!!! Fortunately there is no crippled firmware for your drive.
RobTi

Post by RobTi »

Coopervid wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:03 am
RobTi wrote:
NEVER flash a Pioneer drive that works with Makemkv!!!! Fortunately there is no crippled firmware for your drive.
no i just wondered if this was automatic update as i used to have to disable/ block internet for certain programs years back to stop them updating
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

No, no automatic updates. However, for their newer drives Pioneer stated some bogus scary stuff to motivate people to update their drives:

"Added a new function "Damage Prevention mode for music CD" "

This is complete BS and if you update the drives will not work anymore with ripping software like Makemkv for UHDs.