Support for .m2ts, .mts files

Everything related to MakeMKV
marius2du

Support for .m2ts, .mts files

Post by marius2du »

Dear Mike,

Are you going to implement the posibility to import the .m2ts, .mts media files ?
I have a lot of such files, as a result of editing videos taken with the handy camera.
Please provide a feedback, I am planning to purchase makemkv tool.

Thank you.
Best regards.
Ezatoka

Re: Support for .m2ts, .mts files

Post by Ezatoka »

And what do you want to do with the files then? Because if you just want to make MKV files out of them, you can just use MKVToolNix.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I've already requested this feature elsewhere, and quite some time ago, but nothing ever came of it (but then, nothing ever comes of any feature requests).

It's not only for your "handy camera" files but for Blu-ray files in general. Makemkv doesn't have an 'Open disc manually' mode for Blu-rays, and it does like to hide titles that it thinks are duplicates, even if they aren't. I've often needed to open a transport stream directly from a decrypted backup folder but .m2ts just isn't included in the import file-type list.

As to "you can just use MKVToolNix", it doesn't resync the various tracks to the video frame timecodes like MakeMKV does. Some tracks, particularly subtitles on those British TV shows that have title slates before every episode, are way out-of-sync in the raw transport stream, and MKVToolNix doesn't fix them, whereas MakeMKV does.
marius2du

Post by marius2du »

In regards of MKVToolNix, I have couple of remarks --
Firstly, when i run .m2ts file through MKVToolnix, and it generates .mkv, MediaInfo will report that the mkv file is 50 fps although the original .m2ts is 25 fps.
Secondly, if I demux the .mkv file created with MKVToolnix and then I take the video + audio in order to mux them into .mp4, the resulting mp4 file will have a choppy playback. Why is this happening if mkv and mp4 are just containers and the actual media is not touched in any way ?