Slow Write Speeds

Everything related to MakeMKV
jagman

Slow Write Speeds

Post by jagman »

I am new to this. I have a Synology 923+ with four 20TB IronWolf Pro drives. I know they aren't "supported" but they seem to be working fine. The NAS says each drive is healthy and have 18.2 TB, with a total availability of 54.5 TB (one drive is of course redundant). My laptop, NAS and router are all connected to a switch via a CAT6 cables. My external BD drive is connected to my laptop via a powered USB switch since the laptop can't provide enough power via the USB csble.Is there a better way to set this up so rip times improve? Right now it's taking 4-5 hours per disk 4K BD disk.
Woodstock

Re: Slow Write Speeds

Post by Woodstock »

I doubt that the Synology is slowing your writes down - having used them for years, they will keep up with 100MB/s network speeds far better than most. Any time I see a slowdown, I have to replace a failed cable, because it fell below specifications (usually the green light on the router turns yellow to indicate a problem). You can test that by copying a LARGE file from local storage on your laptop to the network. My test is usually to run three rips at a time to my main storage array, while doing a video encode. The BD drives run at full speed, and the Synology really doesn't notice.

The most likely candidate is the BD drives themselves - they can SAY they read "6x" or "20x", but that's under ideal conditions on perfect media at the most data-intense portions of a disk. That will be towards the outside of the media, and the disk will get noisy most of the time.

I've seen DVDs report read speeds in double-digits, but BD disks rarely get above 8x. And that's on a direct SATA connection, rather than dealing with USB translations.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It is implied I suppose that when you make a rip your destination folder is out on your NAS. What happens if you make a rip but have the destination be on local storage, not on the NAS?
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

jagman wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:03 am
Is there a better way to set this up so rip times improve? Right now it's taking 4-5 hours per disk 4K BD disk.
Am I understanding correctly, you're ripping directly to your NAS? I wouldn't go with that idea, in the case of UHD a lot of data is being transferred. I just ripped Saving Private Ryan UHD, main movie, couple of audio streams, couple of subs streams = 77.3 GB. I always rip to a local drive (internal), then transfer to my NAS when completed or encoded whatever. Avoid any bottlenecks sort of thing and get a smooth rip.
Windows:
Identifying The Correct Title To Rip: Process Monitor Method - GetMPLS Method
Mux/Remux: Set A Subtitle Stream On By Default (Forced)