MakeMKV cannot open BluRay-ISO with BD+

Everything related to MakeMKV
jemima

MakeMKV cannot open BluRay-ISO with BD+

Post by jemima »

Hey.

I was playing a bit around and noticed the following.

I have - luckily only - two BluRays with BD+ (both non-UHD). MakeMKV can decrypt both just perfectly fine.

But when I first create an ISO image (well actually it's an UDF image ^^) of the discs with dd (which works flawlessly, unlike e.g. with UHD, where I'd need to use MakeMKV to get the drive in LibreMode in order to be able to read it out), and then try to open that ISO image with MakeMKV, it hangs during the process and ultimately says it cannot find a key.

It also doesn't show that phase where it defeats BD+, which it does, when using the real disc in a drive.

Any idea why that doesn't work?

I also tried playing back the ISO image with e.g. mpv + libaacs + libbdplus... but despite the latter, it still says that it cannot play it because of BD+.
Are there any people around which have actually successfully used libbdplus on BD+ mediums?

Thanks,
Jemima
marieross

Re: MakeMKV cannot open BluRay-ISO with BD+

Post by marieross »

It’s possible that the ISO image created using dd is not an exact copy of the original BluRay disc, which could be causing the issue with MakeMKV.

As for using libbdplus on BD+ mediums, it seems that there are some people who have been successful in doing so. However, it can be a complex process and may require some technical expertise.
nothing is impossibleuno online
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

There are normal BluRay discs that do have Bus Encryption required. Just copying the files from them without having LibreMode active won't end in playable files.
jemima

Post by jemima »

Ezatoka wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:17 am
There are normal BluRay discs that do have Bus Encryption required.
Ah, I see. But still, this ain't bus encryption. Cause the image I get, contains the bitwise identical files from what MakeMKV creates when disabling decryption.

I guess I found out why libbdplus cannot work... it also needs some "configuration" files which I haven't had in place ;-)

No idea though, why MakeMKV cannot use the ISO(=UDF) image... either there's more on the disc, which is not part of the ISO.. or the BDSVM simply needs to talk to something that looks like a MMC device or so ... and MakeMKV doesn't emulate a virtual one on top of the image file.

Cheers,
Jemima
jemima

Post by jemima »

btw: is there a way to find out whether bus encryption is present (i.e. whether libre mode needs to be switched on)? I mean other than seeing eventually that the data is garbage.