Feature request for makeMKV - auto check/uncheck child nodes

Everything related to MakeMKV
RobAinscough

Feature request for makeMKV - auto check/uncheck child nodes

Post by RobAinscough »

The tree/node control is usually operating on child nodes (if any) ... in most software implementations.

It would be great if when I check a Parent node all child nodes are automatically checked also ... or same for unchecking parent node then all child nodes would be unchecked.

Would also be handy to have an Select All or UnSelect All global option.

And finally, have option automatically remove all child audio items that are not of the user's preferred language (default to OS culture i.e. English but can be changed by user).

Cheers, Rob.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
dcoke22

Re: Feature request for makeMKV - auto check/uncheck child nodes

Post by dcoke22 »

RobAinscough wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:38 am
Would also be handy to have an Select All or UnSelect All global option.
Right-click, (un)select all.
RobAinscough

Post by RobAinscough »

Oh ... thank you !

:oops:
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
RobAinscough

Post by RobAinscough »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:46 am
Right-click, (un)select all.
So this "feature" doesn't seem to be very useful and is not being implemented correctly for a Tree List control.

1. Toggle Item doesn't uncheck/check the child nodes under the item tree.
2. Unselect/Select all only operates on the node level and doesn't change child nodes under parent node.

FYI, I'm a long time software engineer and have worked with UI and Tree Lists so have a good idea of expected operation.

3. New: please add option to automatically uncheck all child nodes with entry "Subtitle"
4. New: please add option to uncheck all entries not equal to "English" (or one's language of choice) in audio and subtitle nodes.

Please add these to my "request" for future versions.

Cheers, Rob.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

When I unselect all from either the root level or the disc title level, only all the titles on the disc are unselected. Everything under a title is still selected, but since the title is unselected, MakeMKV won't process anything in that title. That implies it doesn't matter what the state of any of the checkboxes are under a title that is unchecked.

If I open up a title and then unselect all on either an audio track or a subtitle track, every checkbox for that title is unselected. However, if I unselect all on a nested audio track (e.g. the lossy core of a lossless TrueHD track) or a nested subtitle track (e.g. the 'forced' subtitle track), then only that item is unselected since that is leaf node in the tree.

In my experience, your items 1 & 2 are both true and untrue based on where in the tree one (un)selects all. I'm running MakeMKV on macOS, so perhaps the UI works differently on different platforms.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

This "Unselect" child nodes request has been made many times (I couldn't count how many "Forced" subtitle tracks I have to manually unselect every day and it's so frustrating to think that I should be able to just unselect all of them in a single click, but can't).

Unfortunately it seems like all feature requests are being ignored, and have been for some time. I've made numerous requests, even for tiny little things that would take five minutes to implement, but none have even been acknowledged by the program author, let alone taken onboard.

Even bug reports I've made haven't been fixed.
RobAinscough wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:53 pm
~ 4. New: please add option to uncheck all entries not equal to "English" (or one's language of choice) in audio and subtitle nodes. ~
I haven't done this (as I like to keep all languages, myself) but I believe there's an option within the user profile to specify what languages you want, and don't, as the case may be.

One problem I see with that is, some tracks are misidentified on the discs themselves. I've been seeing this quite a bit lately, where the language code has been entered incorrectly, and if you had everything but English excluded, then you may find yourself scratching your head wondering why a title doesn't have an audio track at all?

If I were going to try this, I think I'd setup a whole new profile so I could change back and forth on-the-fly.
RobAinscough

Post by RobAinscough »

Ok, but the UI implement should cycle thru and check or uncheck all items under the parent node. As you pointed out the implemented code may ignore the unchecked items under the parent node, but the UI is what the user sees and that leaves ambiguity ... and to be honest, I've never seen a Tree List implemented in such a manner. For clarity the child node state should be an inherited method in code (perfect example of how OOP works).

"Unselect All" or "Select All" at any given node level would uncheck all at that node level as well as their child nodes (on down the tree).

"Toggle Item" would Unselect/Select just that item and it's child nodes in the tree ... this also doesn't happen.

I'm glad the code implementation is there to enforce, but it does leave users with a poor UI experience which can generate excessive support and/or post just like this one.

Cheers, Rob.
RobAinscough

Post by RobAinscough »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:55 am
I haven't done this (as I like to keep all languages, myself) but I believe there's an option within the user profile to specify what languages you want, and don't, as the case may be.
I did find something in the Advanced Settings called "Default Selection Rule"

with value: -sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang

I assume I need to change the favlang but when I click on the "?" Help to see what values to enter, I just get the "no entry" mouse cursor. So when I go to online help there doesn't appear to be any information specific to these values/settings?

So I tried the FAQ link https://www.makemkv.com/faq/ I get this error:
"Warning: include(/home/makemkv/public_html/faq/nucleus/libs/globalfunctions.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/u235770/makemkv.com/faq/config.php on line 31"

I don't see any "User Profile" option or ability to add them? How is that accomplished?

I must admit, for $50 it does seem a little sketchy but it does seem to work as far as conversions go ... but would just like to see the UI cleaned up and time saving features added for those of US who are converting our entire 1000+ DVD/BD collection.

Cheers, Rob.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

RobAinscough wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:26 am
~ I don't see any "User Profile" option or ability to add them? How is that accomplished? ~
To save me some typing, see one of my previous posts here:

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147528#p147528

Specifically, the above post relates to the default behavior of the first subtitle tracks (IE. stopping them from being displayed by default when you later play the file), but you'll see other options within that .xml file that may be of some use to you.

As before, you can create as many different user profiles as you like, just give each one a unique name instead of "custom", then you can switch back and forth on a per-disc basis if need be.
RobAinscough wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:26 am
~ but would just like to see the UI cleaned up and time saving features added for those of US who are converting our entire 1000+ DVD/BD collection. ~
I feel your pain, I'm almost two and a half thousand titles into my optical media collection (that's titles, I haven't counted how many individual discs), and even tiny little features like having the cursor automatically focus on the text input field (instead of having to move the mouse across the screen and click in there before I start typing) would save me soooo much time every day.
RobAinscough

Post by RobAinscough »

Many thanks for the link ... too funny, just can't seem to rid myself of XML file editing even in 2024. Add this process to my UI request :)

I hope I'm not coming across wrong, makeMKV gets the job done of conversions, just would like to see some UI love.

Cheers, Rob.