No Disc Backup for HD-DVDs?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Mr. Red

No Disc Backup for HD-DVDs?

Post by Mr. Red »

Doesn't MakeMKV support de-crypted Disc Backups of HD-DVDs?
The Backup button is greyed out if I insert an HD-DVD (tested with several discs).
Since MakeMKV still has an issue with HD-DVD subtitles (viewtopic.php?t=1905) you need the de-crypted backup to extract them manually or with EVODemuxer.

It's not a big deal, since most subtitles can be found on opensubtitles.org and similar sites, but it would still be nice if the backup worked.
Tyler94

Re: No Disc Backup for HD-DVDs?

Post by Tyler94 »

Is MakeMKV even working. I just reinstalled it and I'm still getting the message that the evaluation period has ended. I thought we could still use it for free?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Registered users can use it continuously. "Beta" users have to apply a new key every 60 days or so to continue "free use".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Tyler94

Post by Tyler94 »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:02 pm
Registered users can use it continuously. "Beta" users have to apply a new key every 60 days or so to continue "free use".
So then how do I continue using it for free? I've redownloaded it several times after completely uninstalling it and still it keeps telling me that the evaluation period has expired. Same computer, same drive, same firmware. I think the program is bugged.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Each 60 days, a new key is generated for non-registered users. It is NOT put in the existing download file; that is updated when the program is, not when the key is.

Sometimes, the key is not generated exactly when the old one expires. That does happen. Those who rely on not registering have to scramble to convince their computer that the expiration date has not passed yet (at least during start-up) when that happens.

If "continuous use" is your goal, registering would be a good idea. Then, there isn't an issue every 60 days.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

Mr. Red wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:00 pm
Doesn't MakeMKV support de-crypted Disc Backups of HD-DVDs?
The Backup button is greyed out if I insert an HD-DVD (tested with several discs).
Since MakeMKV still has an issue with HD-DVD subtitles (viewtopic.php?t=1905) you need the de-crypted backup to extract them manually or with EVODemuxer.

It's not a big deal, since most subtitles can be found on opensubtitles.org and similar sites, but it would still be nice if the backup worked.
it also doesn't support disc backups for regular DVDs, only supports making MKVs
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

thetoad wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:53 am
it also doesn't support disc backups for regular DVDs, only supports making MKVs
That used to be the case, but modern versions of MakeMKV will now create a .iso backup of a DVD if the backup icon is clicked.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:23 pm
thetoad wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:53 am
That used to be the case, but modern versions of MakeMKV will now create a .iso backup of a DVD if the backup icon is clicked.
ah, interesting. shows how long its been since I used MakeMKV on DVDs. :)