Windows going to sleep during ripping

Everything related to MakeMKV
GetOutOfMySight

Windows going to sleep during ripping

Post by GetOutOfMySight »

Hello,

I have experienced Windows (11 23H2) going to sleep while ripping Blu Rays in my Verbatim 43888 (Pioneer BDR-UD04).
Windows is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity.
I have checked

Code: Select all

powercfg /requests
and it does not show any wake lock/request while MakeMKV is ripping.

So far, I am using PowerToys Awake to temporarily disable the usual sleep timeout while ripping.
Nonetheless, it would be more convenient if MakeMKV (or the disc drive being active) would keep Windows awake.

Is this a bug local to my setup or something MakeMKV does not do as of yet?
Radiocomms237

Re: Windows going to sleep during ripping

Post by Radiocomms237 »

As an aside, one quirk I've noticed is that, if working direct from disc when Windows goes to sleep, you lose your entire setup (naming tracks, etc). But if working from a backup, all your setup comes back up when Windows wakes up again!

What I did was to disable the automatic sleep timer in Windows altogether, for me, it was just more trouble than it was worth! You may find that there's a dedicated key on your keyboard that also puts Windows to sleep instead.
outlier

Re: Windows going to sleep during ripping

Post by outlier »

I had wondered if makemkv was implemented to call "PowerSetRequest(h, PowerRequestSystemRequired)" while is was processing a disc, and this thread seems to suggest 1) the answer is no, or 2) Microsoft has further increased/changed what's needed for a process to keep the system awake.

Previously an app only needed to call "SetThreadExecutionState(ES_SYSTEM_REQUIRED)", but then Microsoft thought too many programs were being written to keep the system alive and changed to a different API that has more explicit reference counting.