Dolby Digital 2.0 converted to Analog Stereo

Everything related to MakeMKV
nradu

Dolby Digital 2.0 converted to Analog Stereo

Post by nradu »

Dear all,

Sorry if this has been addressed, but I couldn't find it anythere on forum.
I have a lot of original DVD-s with Dolby Digital 2.0 sound and I converted them to ISO (with DVD fab) and to MKV (directly from DVD with latest 1.6.12 version). I play both versions on a WD TV Live connected optically to a Denon AV receiver.
When I play ISO file, the audio stream is Dolby Digital (AV receiver recognizes it as DD), but when I play the MKV file the audio is only stereo (no DD information on AV receiver).
Also TV (Samsung) can play audio from MKV as it's pure stereo, while it cannot play from ISO as it's digital.

I want to have the MKV file also with DD 2.0, not just stereo, is it possible? I tried to modify the MKV file with MKVMerge as well, but no succes.

Many thanks,
Radu
Romansh

Re: Dolby Digital 2.0 converted to Analog Stereo

Post by Romansh »

MakeMKV and mkvmerge only remux; they don't convert anything. Must be the WD TV.
priitv8

Post by priitv8 »

nradu wrote:I want to have the MKV file also with DD 2.0, not just stereo, is it possible? I tried to modify the MKV file with MKVMerge as well, but no succes.
What is the principal difference between DD2.0 and PCM audio for you? Apart from compression (ie smaller file) used by DD?
PS it would be impossible to store analog audio within a computer file, so the audio is still digital.
PPS Content-wise, I don't see any difference, because DD2.0 and PCM contain both 2-channels of audio data.
nradu

Post by nradu »

priitv8 wrote:
nradu wrote:I want to have the MKV file also with DD 2.0, not just stereo, is it possible? I tried to modify the MKV file with MKVMerge as well, but no succes.
What is the principal difference between DD2.0 and PCM audio for you? Apart from compression (ie smaller file) used by DD?
PS it would be impossible to store analog audio within a computer file, so the audio is still digital.
PPS Content-wise, I don't see any difference, because DD2.0 and PCM contain both 2-channels of audio data.
My problem is very simple: if the movie has stereo only, the TV can play it via HDMI. If it's DD, the TV cannot play it. As I have the media player connected via optical cable to AV receiver, it's annoying to hear some movies on both AV speakers and TV, so I have to turn TV sound to 0 (muting it will show an ugly message on the screen) from time to time. I want a more reliable setup, where really no sound should be processed by TV, but unfortunately my stupid Samsung TV doesn't act as I need it.

Radu
priitv8

Post by priitv8 »

nradu wrote:My problem is very simple: if the movie has stereo only, the TV can play it via HDMI. If it's DD, the TV cannot play it. As I have the media player connected via optical cable to AV receiver, it's annoying to hear some movies on both AV speakers and TV, so I have to turn TV sound to 0 (muting it will show an ugly message on the screen) from time to time. I want a more reliable setup, where really no sound should be processed by TV, but unfortunately my stupid Samsung TV doesn't act as I need it.
My Sony acts almost the same. Except for when I set in sound setup, that my TV is connected to external sound system (which also disables internal speakers completely), then DD signal coming from HDMI is passed through to optical out on back of TV, which I route to AV receiver. Unfortunately, DTS will never be passed through. So you should check, perhaps your TV has similar setup option available.