Making MKV, from single layer DVD backups

Everything related to MakeMKV
NutFlush920

Making MKV, from single layer DVD backups

Post by NutFlush920 »

I have a large DVD collection on DVD+R compressed using primarily DVD Shrink and Colne DVD from several years of backups. When I did the back ups I always did 1:1 ratio with menus and all.

My question is wether or not I am OK making MKV's from my backups or should I pull my originals from storage to make the MKV's (in terms of best quality)? Keep in mind most retail discs are DL and most of movies have already been compressed to fit on SL discs as backups.

What I'm doing with the MKV's is then running them through Handbrake and keeping the original resolution to be played as m4v files on my Apple TV.

I think I already know the answer to my question but, wanted to hear some opinions on the subject.

Thanks in advance.
Romansh

Re: Making MKV, from single layer DVD backups

Post by Romansh »

DVD-9 -> DVD-5 -> MP4 file

DVD-9 -> MP4 file

Each -> represents a drop in video quality.
NutFlush920

Post by NutFlush920 »

Romansh wrote:DVD-9 -> DVD-5 -> MP4 file

DVD-9 -> MP4 file

Each -> represents a drop in video quality.
Got it. So, the drop in quality will be less going DVD-9 -> MP4 than DVD-9 -> DVD-5 -> MP4?

Considering I'd only be compressing once from the original source vs compressing an already compressed source?

Also, (not that I would ever do it) how do people get 500mb 720P MKV files off Blurays and put them on torrent? All mine range from 15gb and up usually. Only reason I ask is because when I have problems making an MKV file I Google "rip TITLE MKV" and find tons of torrent files for the movie with only 500mb or less in size. I'm not about to get busted for illegally downloading movies but am just curious.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@nutflush920

Hi!
how do people get 500mb 720P MKV files off Blurays and put them on torrent?
That is an inappropriate topic of conversation at this forum...

NutFlush920

Post by NutFlush920 »

setarip_old wrote:@nutflush920

Hi!
how do people get 500mb 720P MKV files off Blurays and put them on torrent?
That is an inappropriate topic of conversation at this forum...

I'm not looking to put files on torrent. I'm just curious as to why my bluray rips are 15gb+ and theirs are 500mb or less. Do I maybe gave a setting wrong?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

MakeMKV doesn't re-encode anything. 720p 500 MB rips are obviously re-encoded (Blu-rays aren't 720p to begin with).
NutFlush920

Post by NutFlush920 »

Ok thanks. I'm just gonna keep doing what I've been doing. I have so many discs and this has become a big project.

Make MKV has made my job easier though and is saving me tons of time not ripping the full discs and only the primary movie.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

I've never seen a 720 BD transcode as small as 500MB. However if you are looking for transcoding information, perhaps VideoHelp would be a good place to start.

SC