No subtitle on Blueray Rips

Everything related to MakeMKV
kotze999

No subtitle on Blueray Rips

Post by kotze999 »

Seems to be some problems with the subtitles in BlueRay Rips.

The german subtitles don't shown. In the Players (WD TV or VLC) the subtitles are listed, but no subtitles shown.

Subtitles on DVD Rips works fine.

Tested BlueRay films:

Gran Torino
Traitor
The Woman
Seven Pounds

thx,

kotze999
mike admin

Re: No subtitle on Blueray Rips

Post by mike admin »

It is a known chicken-egg problem. No (open-source) software player today can decode PGS subtitles. At certain point VLC & co will understand PGS format but for now there is no way to see these subtitles.
kotze999

Post by kotze999 »

Sorry, but MKV files which are manualy converted will play the subtitles correct on the WD TV player.
jubei_nj

Post by jubei_nj »

Is there a way I can rip the subtitles out and mux them into the mkv file?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

You won't like the answer - presently, no. To start the cycle we're considering releasing an open-source program that can extract blu-ray subtitles from MKV into sup file format. This way one would be able to load subtitles into suprip, ocr, and remux into MKV.
Oldman

Post by Oldman »

kotze999- The subtitles from blu-ray don't work on the WDTV because they are in the PGS (Presentation Graphic Stream) format. There is no hardware appliance or open source software player that will natively play this format. They have to be converted. I know as I also have the WDTV player.

Mike- I have been trying unsuccessfully to demux the PGS stream from the MKV container created by MakeMKV for conversion in SupRip. I used mkvextract, TsMuxer and TsRemux. None of these worked. Researching the internet including pouring through Doom9 hasn't given me an real good information. The conclusion I came to is there is no real way to strip the stream from an mkv. Your post about introducing a utility to do this seems to support that fact. Is this the case to your knowledge?
echn111

Post by echn111 »

Hello - it's a real shame that subtitles cannot easily be ripped from BluRay using MakeMKV. One of the main advantages to using a tool like MakeMKV is ease of use - you just click a few buttons and you get your .MKV to use on your hard drive.

Now if we have to go read the doom9 forums and mess around possible solutions like "make a complete avchd/blu-ray output using tsmuxer or multiavchd or mkv2vob" (whatever that means), that defeats the whole point of MakeMKV. Ok, people who love reading about this stuff and using RipBot264 will be fine and given enough patience find a solution.

But I think the target market of MakeMKV is different, and not having an easy way of extracting BluRay subtitles for our .mkv's is a "big" issue. Would really like an easy solution to this.
stev391

Post by stev391 »

Some of the statements here are incorrect.

As of August the 25th my patch to decode PGS subtitles was accepted into FFmpeg and hence ffplay can play .m2ts & .ts files.
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffm ... 24056.html

There are some limitations atm. These include:
* Ignoring the "force" flag, so all subtitles are currently displayed (if turned on)
* Cropping and other special effects are not supported
* Subtitle is delayed slightly (and currently not cleared correctly)
* Some large subtitles (where the RLE bitmap is split over multiple packets) do not get decoded.

(FFmpeg is used as the codec, demuxer, parser for a lot of open source players, including MythTV. To watch bluray subtitles (.ts and m2ts) in MythTV goto http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6748 and apply the latest patch!)

Regards,
Stephen.

EDIT: After consultation of mkv specifications, there is no CodecID defined for PGS subs...
So as far as I know mpeg transport streams are the only containers that support PGS subs... (if not please enlighten me)
echn111

Post by echn111 »

That's good news. What would the typical user do to watch bluray subtitles? I've got the CCCP set of codecs and use it with the latest version of MPC-HC. It's been setup to use the internal subtitle renderer. Specifically, where can I get the version of ffplay that will let me see the BluRay subtitles within the .MKV's I've been creating using MakeMKV? Thanks.

Edit: I downloaded FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2009-09-02 and tried it. Playing a filed ripped by MakeMKV with a multiple subtitles shows me the different subtitle streams when I use various options like "navigate-> subtitle language" but nothing shows up, and the subtitle option in MPC-HC is still greyed out. And yes, using the same player, I can see the subtitles in .MKV's created using normal subtitles and not created by MakeMKV.
stev391

Post by stev391 »

I was correcting the statement that no player can play PGS subtitles.

As noted in the bottom of my post there does not exist the necessary CODEC ID in the mkv standard to support this feature. If you have the file as a .ts or .m2ts file then you can see the subtitles in ffplay (www.ffmpeg.org).

Sorry for the confusion.
Stephen.
Sybock

Post by Sybock »

So far, every .mkv I've tried it on I was able to extract subtitles and remux the mkv with alternative subs later on - but these have all been re-encodes I don't have a bluray drive so I haven't been able to mess about with blurays yet.
SnotMonster

Post by SnotMonster »

Looks like the latest VLC nightlies are now supporting PGS subtitles
shinji

Post by shinji »

The way I dealt with it was to rip them out separately then deal with that conversion. I finished with Advanced SubStation Alpha subs for playback since they look nicer. Some newer Bluray subs are using positional subs that translate specific portions of the screen (not just for speech) so I'm going to definitely use the same format for these subs but I need to do it scene by scene which will be a pain. Bah!

P.S. - I would buy the program but it is a bit expensive. We will see with time though. I may do it anyways as it is quite a bit easier than the other options.
galaktiker

Post by galaktiker »

I would buy the proram that works like MakeMKV (mkv in a few clicks and 15 minutes), but would save subtitles and wouldn't write me the next:

Any idea?. I don't mind if it converts the Bluy-ray to AVI, or TS, or Xvid...

P. S. And I would buy or donate for the MakeMKV, if its creator solves the problems with subtitles or bugs
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@galaktiker

(You probably should have started a new thread, as this really has nothing to do with subs)

What was your initial source material?

It appears to be lacking a (REQUIRED) Volume Identification Key. (Not a fault of MakeMKV)