LPCM issue

Everything related to MakeMKV
lpcmissues

LPCM issue

Post by lpcmissues »

I recently purchased a Blu-Ray drive for my PC to get in on that 1080p awesomeness (oh, and I owned a few discs and wanted to play them on my PC)

Firstly, I love MakeMKV used it for ages to rip my DVD collection without issues but now am having an issue ripping my Bluray discs.

Issue is, LPCM audio doesn't work. I ripped 2001 A Space Odyssey with LPCM sound selected and the video plays but there is no audio. I reripped it with Dolby Digital selected and it has sound but I hear LPCM/DTS-HD is much better sounding.

Anyone care to help me?
ryanjk333

Re: LPCM issue

Post by ryanjk333 »

I keep complaining about this issue...but I guess there will soon be a fix for it. For now, you must convert the LPCM audio to FLAC and remux it back into the MKV file. The conversion from LPCM to FLAC is lossless, so there will be no loss in sound quality. Going the Dolby Digital route you suggested will definitely result in lower quality non-HD audio.

MakeMKV is not to blame for this issue...there are very few players out there that are even capable of playing LPCM audio in an MKV file. Sure hope the creators of MakeMKV have a solution soon so that no extra software or hassle is needed for discs with LPCM. It's crazy that one of the three types of lossless audio found on blu rays is still not able to somehow be used easily in an MKV file.
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
lpcmissues

Post by lpcmissues »

I suppose in future the issue will be fixed either by the people developing the mkv container (if I'm not mistaken it's an issue with the container, not makemkv) or the guys making MakeMKV will intergrate an automated system to convert the LPCM track into FLAC using MakeMKV.
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

Exactly. I guess the issue has something to do with the channels (5.1, 7.1) in the LPCM track. Different players interpret them differently and things get all goofed up then. Not like DTS-HD or TrueHD where there are definite specifications so there is no confusion among devices that play those formats.
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
lpcmissues

Post by lpcmissues »

Remaining hopeful that sometime in the future this issue gets fixed I'm ripping two copies of each of my Blu-Ray discs (one that contains LPCM audio, other that contains core audio)

Space is no contraint for me, i'm dumping all the LPCM movies onto the external drive I keep in my cupboard.
paulster

Post by paulster »

In the meantime just use eac3to to extract the LPCM track as FLAC and then re-mux it in place of the LPCM track in mkvmerge. You'll have the LCPM track compressed losslessly (i.e. no loss of fidelity whatsoever) and a space-saving to boot.