MakeMKV on FreeBSD

Everything related to MakeMKV
FreeMWP

MakeMKV on FreeBSD

Post by FreeMWP »

I really like MakeMKV, but until now, I have to run Linux in a virtual envirorment or on a seperate partition, as I'm a FreeBSD user. I tried to compile makemkv on FreeBSD, but had a lot of errors about e.g. SOCKET not being decleared. Unfortunately my porting skills are not very high, not yet :wink: , but are there any change to see a FreeBSD port in the future? Otherwise I will try to investigate the how to compile/port it my self.

Cheers,
Mads Wors?e Duun
ozzius

Re: MakeMKV on FreeBSD

Post by ozzius »

I did the port makemkv for FreeBSD - https://github.com/osokin/makemkv.
Currently its possible to build makemkv on FreeBSD.
I tried run makemkv on FreeBSD and got pop-up window: Application failed to initialize.

I installed linux_base-f10-10_4 (Linux Fedora 10) on my FreeBSD9 box,
compiled oss part of makemkv on Ubuntu Linux 11.10 and got libmakemkv.so.1 and libdriveio.so.0,
put libraries into /compat/linux/usr/lib directory. No its possible to run makemkvcon...
FreeMWP

Post by FreeMWP »

Thanks ozzius, I'll try your port asap, and will repport how it works.
ozzius

Post by ozzius »

FreeMWP wrote:Thanks ozzius, I'll try your port asap, and will repport how it works.
Currently its possible only build QT-frontend of the makemkv_oss. The main part of makemkv is makemkv_bin (aka makemkvcon) is available only for linux. I tried to run it with FreeBSD's linuxlator and makemkvcon command without any arguments works, but makemkv still have pop-up window with "Application failed to initialize.".

So, its possible to build, and it is not possible to run...
FreeMWP

Post by FreeMWP »

ozzius wrote:Currently its possible only build QT-frontend of the makemkv_oss. The main part of makemkv is makemkv_bin (aka makemkvcon) is available only for linux. I tried to run it with FreeBSD's linuxlator and makemkvcon command without any arguments works, but makemkv still have pop-up window with "Application failed to initialize.".

So, its possible to build, and it is not possible to run...
Didn't have time to try it yet, but it seems that you did a good job so fare. About the communication between makemkvcon and the makemkv gui, we maybe need some kind of linuxmakemkv wrapper, just like native firefox etc. needs linuxpluginwrapper to run e.g. the flash plugin.
vdubgeek

Post by vdubgeek »

I'm interested in trying to get this to work as well. I know FreeBSD may not be as mainstream as Linux, but there's definitely interest.
reakktor

Post by reakktor »

Searched Forums on topic FreeBSD - all threads lead to this one - looks like 1 year no new topics on FreeBSD.
So i wanted to hook in - would be really nice to see (at least) a command line driven version of makemkv. Great software, should be spread onto other platforms.

As thread starter said - would recommend a FreeBSD version. Like 'Handbrake' port, a command line version would be sufficient. We FreeBSD people like it this way *grin*

As intermediate c-programmer and occasional patch commiter/reporter i had a short look on device code - looks like 95% Linux code could be reused/adapted; especially on new FreeBSD >9.1 with CAM layer as default.
On FreeBSD >9.x: All (or mostly) all ATA-command stacks are mapped to SCSI driven stuff; work ongoing; ;(S)ATA command structure/error handling at that point should be nearly 100% compatible. SCSI stuff issupported quite perfectly.

Am no expert on driver programming, but looks like most low level driver stuff could be easily adapted - at least for a command line version.
Offering help on this...

greetz
reakktor
reakktor

Post by reakktor »

Well, any news on FreeBSD support ?

FreeBSD is going 10.0, many improvements towards modern hardware.
Still missing a "makemkv" port, even when it's a binary blob.

Would still giving my right hand to get some running core stuff for FreeBSD. A command line core version would be enough, i think - maybe something like "makemkv-core" as binary package?!
Well, GUI already compiles, wouldn't hurt to get that running too...
Harri

Post by Harri »

I'd love to see the binary package for FreeBSD. I am using Linux since kernel 0.99.x, but before I used BSD (SunOS 4.x, Ultrix). I can help polish the build procedure, if necessary.
FreeMWP

Post by FreeMWP »

Harri wrote:I'd love to see the binary package for FreeBSD. I am using Linux since kernel 0.99.x, but before I used BSD (SunOS 4.x, Ultrix). I can help polish the build procedure, if necessary.
I would't bet on a native FreeBSD binary. Guess we need to make it run on the Linux emulation layer.
stevenh

Post by stevenh »

As one of the FreeBSD development team who's worked in the past on the CAM layer, if you need help with fixing any OS error LMK and I'll do my best to help.
GhostUser00

Post by GhostUser00 »

Hello there,

after a few months of hard work I managed to get a lightweight working version of makemkv under freebsd 10.2. The "port" is available at https://github.com/HiMyNameIsIlNano/linux-makemkv-lite so feel free to download it and test it at your own like.

The "port" uses the "core" makemkvcon component run under the linux compatibility layer, therefore it is not possible to run the application without it. Why the linux emulatiion layer? Due to license restrictions the source code of this component is not available, therefore it is not possible to open the source code and port it to freebsd, even though it is possible to get the oss part to compile.

Shipped with the "port" are a few utility scripts which allow the user to update the beta key for makemkv, update the aacs database and play the contents streamed by the makemkv's network stream. During my tests I have noticed that the best player to use for reproducing the ripped contents is "mpv". Even though the "play-stream"
scripts supports "mplayer" most of the times the stream cannot be reproduced.

Please feel free to test and let me know what you think.
Regards.

P.S: I do not think I am going to use this forum very much, so do not try to send me PMs or such as I won't read them.
d0000d

Post by d0000d »

I just want to ping this thread, because I would also like a FreeBSD release of `makemkvcon`.
Zirias

Post by Zirias »

GhostUser00 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:42 pm
The "port" uses the "core" makemkvcon component run under the linux compatibility layer, therefore it is not possible to run the application without it.
I wonder how you got this running, or maybe something changed in makemkvcon meanwhile ... I tried a lot today and finally got makemkvcon to run at all, but it always tells me "Das Programm konnte keine verwendbaren optischen Laufwerke finden.", probably something like "the program couldn't find any optical drives." in the C locale. Running it through "truss", I could see it tries to open /sys/bus/scsi/devices, which isn't provided by the FreeBSD linsysfs implementation.

Giving it a source of "dev:/dev/cd0" doesn't work either, it tries to read it as a link:
| linux_readlink("/dev/cd0",0x85449bc80,126) ERR#-22 'Invalid argument'
and then tells just
| Unknown device - '/dev/cd0'

Well, I'm trying a "real" linux in bhyve now, we will see :(

Anyway, this is a userspace application, I don't think this can be that much different on FreeBSD than on Linux, so please, if the source is going to stay closed, create a FreeBSD binary of makemkvcon ....
Zirias

Post by Zirias »

I made some progress, makemkvcon DOES run on FreeBSD now, but it was quite complicated to get there. For the full description, see my thread over at FreeBSD forums. In short, makemkvcon expects to find drive information in /sys/bus/scsi (which isn't there on FreeBSD's sysfs emulation) and wants to talk to the drive using Linux' "scsi generic" device (which FreeBSD can emulate, but it isn't built into the kernel by default).

No luck with the GUI so far, but at least I can rip blurays now :)