Beta vs Non Beta

Everything related to MakeMKV
ripone

Beta vs Non Beta

Post by ripone »

I am slightly or very confused on Beta release vs non Beta.

I tried rereading a post on Beta saying it has a limited number of days before it can not be used.

But.... I thought I downloaded the Non Beta version and then yesterday I see it now says Beta version.

Thanks in advance for unconfusing me.
ryanjk333

Re: Beta vs Non Beta

Post by ryanjk333 »

Actually, there is no such thing as a non beta version of this program just yet. It is still in beta for now. DVD conversion and streaming is and will always be free, even after beta. However, the feature to rip and stream blu rays is a limited trial that can expire, so you can purchase the program at any time when that happens, though free keys are given out by the developer, for now, while it's in beta. The free keys are always posted here:

Code: Select all

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
ripone

Post by ripone »

Ok Thanks, Kind of a config control which is not a bad thing.

I will admit I got really fooled a year ago when I first tried out MakeMKV as suggested by a fellow Magnavox 515 DVD recorder owner.

I used MakeMKV for awhile but had lots of issues with multiple titles on on DVD + RW and I could not tell which tv show was which and I quit using MakeMKV.

Than as time went on I noticed I could not use MakeMKV and thought my 30 day trial or whatever had run out and not recalling that it was free thought I had to get a paid copy.

Than a couple of weeks ago a fellow XBMC user suggested MakeMKV as a single button push DVD transfer to harddrive.

So that is when I noticed the Beta limitation and decided to be smart this time and not download the Beta version only to find out from you they are all Beta ;)

So thanks for setting me straight.
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

No problem!

Yep, MakeMKV does also work great to copy full blu rays to your hard drive if you don't want them converted to MKV.

As for the multiple titles issue, I just last night resurrected a thread from a year ago that said a video preview feature was in the works for this program, but not in the near future, so I thought I'd try to see how close we might be to getting that feature now a year later. That thread is here:

Code: Select all

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1703
That would certainly help you figure out which episodes are which if you could preview them before ripping them!
Last edited by ryanjk333 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MakeMKV registered!
Popcorn Hour C-200
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

MakeMKV does also work great to copy full DVDs and blu rays to your hard drive if you don't want them converted to MKV.

This is incorrect regarding DVDs. MakeMKV cannot perform FULL DISC (1 to 1) copying of DVDs, as the underlying Matroska/.MKV concept is presently incapable of properly processing menus...

ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

setarip_old wrote:
MakeMKV does also work great to copy full DVDs and blu rays to your hard drive if you don't want them converted to MKV.

This is incorrect regarding DVDs. MakeMKV cannot perform FULL DISC (1 to 1) copying of DVDs, as the underlying Matroska/.MKV concept is presently incapable of properly processing menus...

Sorry...you are certainly correct about the menus in MKV. But I was talking about the full disc backup feature in MakeMKV, not the MKV conversion part. I was under the impression that the program could do a full disc backup with both DVD and blu ray...just decrypt the disc and copy it as is to the hard drive.
ripone wrote:
Than a couple of weeks ago a fellow XBMC user suggested MakeMKV as a single button push DVD transfer to harddrive.
That made me think he was just looking for a one click solution to get the DVD to his hard drive...what he'll want to do with the rip after that, I don't know.
MakeMKV registered!
Popcorn Hour C-200
ripone

Post by ripone »

Basically one click: Put DVD in Reader, one click in XBMC and it rips DVD to a location on hardrive in Background. And I assume without menu structure. I have not actually tried the one button approach suggested in XBMC as it is pretty straight forward just doing it straight from Makemkv.

It is just so much more convenient having DVD's you watch over and over already on a Hardrive instead of trying to find where you last put the DVD.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

ryanjk333 wrote:I was under the impression that the program could do a full disc backup with both DVD and blu ray...just decrypt the disc and copy it as is to the hard drive.
No, the backup feature is Blu-ray only.
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

Romansh wrote:
ryanjk333 wrote:I was under the impression that the program could do a full disc backup with both DVD and blu ray...just decrypt the disc and copy it as is to the hard drive.
No, the backup feature is Blu-ray only.
Yep, sure enough...didn't even realize that it just backs up full blu rays and not full DVDs. I work mostly with blu rays these days anyway, but at least the program will convert DVDs to MKV. The MKV conversion of discs is usually all I need done anyway.

Anyway, I've edited my other post so I don't confuse anyone.
MakeMKV registered!
Popcorn Hour C-200