3D MVC Option

Everything related to MakeMKV
superx

Re: 3D MVC Option

Post by superx »

Just FYI Openelec with rasberry pi2. Supports 3d MVC MKV.

Only issue is does not pass through true hd.
smares

Post by smares »

Really? Where do you have that info from? I just did a quick search on OpenELEC's and Kodi's Wiki but cannot find anything for MVC. If that really works, I might end up buying a Pi 2. ^^

Edit: Found it! http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid ... pid1953249
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

That's a pretty big deal. 1 step forward, 2 back. Le sigh.
nickr

Post by nickr »

I am testing an Rpi2 with this and it works well, haven't tested subtitles yet sorry Batiatus.

One curiosity - for my test I ripped The Hobbit: Battles of the Five Armies (part1) from an ISO file, and the mediainfo doesn't show stereo, or a Multiview. However the file definitely plays as 3D on the raspberry pi.
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
However when I rip the copyright message I get:
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1
MultiView_Count : 2
I haven't seen this issue referred to except back near the beginning of the thread. Is there a reason for this?
blucmal

Post by blucmal »

superx wrote:Just FYI Openelec with rasberry pi2. Supports 3d MVC MKV.

Awesome news have been looking for a low power front end computer was going to go with n.u.c units will check out raspberry pi 2 for sure.

Back on subject of mvc rips anyone know how to setup a default profile that will give me mvc english audio and english forced subs by deafult so I can rip a heap of movies automatically with batch converter?
nickr

Post by nickr »

superx wrote:Just FYI Openelec with rasberry pi2. Supports 3d MVC MKV.

Actually the pi 1 supports MVC too, but why would you buy one today?

Neither DTS-HD nor TrueHD will be passed through, but on pi2 TrueHD will be transcoded to pcm and that will be transferred over HDMI, and should be as good as passthough. pi1 won't transcode, not enough CPU.

DTS-HD doesn't have a decoder in ffmpeg, so best you will get is DTS core.
blucmal

Post by blucmal »

I did a batch of files is there a quick way to tell 3d from 2d files? All files just have mkv extension and I checked in the file properties there is no mention of mvc. I want to seperate 2d from 3d so I can compress the 2d files with handbrake to save space.
nickr

Post by nickr »

blucmal wrote:I did a batch of files is there a quick way to tell 3d from 2d files? All files just have mkv extension and I checked in the file properties there is no mention of mvc. I want to seperate 2d from 3d so I can compress the 2d files with handbrake to save space.
mediainfo shows you on a number of files, but it is inconsistent. See two or three posts up. I am not sure why makemkv writes the correct metadata in some files and not others, or maybe mediainfo is just not reading them correctly.

Until we figure that out, i suggest you put 3D somewhere in the file name!
nickr

Post by nickr »

Good news, DTS-HD should now work on raspberry pi too:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid ... pid1963545
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

If you just ripped every file on the disc then sure you will get a ton of MKV files. But each file option scraped in MakeMKV has select-able properties. I'm going to guess right now that you've not even ripped the 3D part of any of the files at all.
blucmal

Post by blucmal »

I ripped the MVC files used batch converter had default as mvc english dts with forced subs and if it it didn't have an MVC file it ripped them in 2d. Was a bit tedious but just opened them up 1 by 1 in stereo player, and changed the extension to mk3d so I could tell them apart then put them in separate folder. So in future easy to destinguish as they are now separate libraries in media browser 3 server.

The reason I asked is because regardless 2d or 3d the extension is just mkv with no mention in properties of MVC or 3d so there was no way to quickly tell 2d from 3d on the completed output file.cheers
nickr

Post by nickr »

According to this post http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 972#p24972 mk3d is NOT for MVC files but is for other format 3D files like SBS and TAB etc.

I would use 3D as part of the filename rather than the extension, like

At least that serves as a reminder of what is what.
nickr

Post by nickr »

Batiatus wrote:If you just ripped every file on the disc then sure you will get a ton of MKV files. But each file option scraped in MakeMKV has select-able properties. I'm going to guess right now that you've not even ripped the 3D part of any of the files at all.
If that was for me, I certainly did rip the MVC portion in the main title. Clicked the box and all. It plays as 3D on my Rpi2 using one of the MVC enabled OE versions.

I didn't rip everything on the disk but I did try the same with the small (copyright message) file. The small file showed as MVC when parsed with mediainfo, the main title did not. Whether this is a makemkv problem or a mediainfo problem was unclear to me.

BUT now I updated mediainfo from 0.7.52 (default on ubuntu precise) to 0.7.72 (latest from the project website) and it reads the main title properly, so kudos to the mediainfo guys for fixing this!

EDIT: PS Batiatus can you point to a file that shows the subtitle issue you were talking about? Happy to download something even if it is large.
blucmal

Post by blucmal »

nickr wrote:According to this post http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 972#p24972 mk3d is NOT for MVC files but is for other format 3D files like SBS and TAB etc.

I would use 3D as part of the filename rather than the extension, like

At least that serves as a reminder of what is what.
Thanks for the tip. Wasn't sure how to set it up with the external player in media browser theater as there was no MVC 3d option so this is how I set it up to trigger the external player. After some more research down the track I found out apparently changing the file extension to mk3d makes no difference to stereoscopic player, so just never bothered changing all the extensions again. MVC 3d is the only 3d files I have so no confusion there just cant be bothered changing it all back atm. perhaps one day...
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

OK so how if a $50 tiny device capable of exporting MVC properly but a high-powered machine costing 2000 tomes as much can't? Something doesn't add up here.....