MI:4 Ghost Protocol Subtitles Question

Everything related to MakeMKV
SamuriHL

Re: MI:4 Ghost Protocol Subtitles Question

Post by SamuriHL »

crowfax wrote:Just MKVtoolnix. The MKVmergeGUI on the default settings compresses the PGS subtitles with zlib. The WD TV firmware is reallyyyy sloppy and it won't read uncompressed PGS subtitles, but it will read zlib compressed ones. WD are aware of their stupid mistake, but it is yet to be corrected.
Hmm, I had my dad try that and it didn't work for him. Granted this was a couple months ago so maybe things have changed. I ripped a few of his BD's to MKV for him to see how well they'd play on the WD TV I got him for Xmas. Some of them worked ok and others would play for a few minutes and then stop. Not sure what's going on. I need to get up there to look at it. But I had him remux them with MKVMerge and it didn't fix the issue. Maybe I'll borrow it and his external hdd when he goes on vacation and see if I can figure it out.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Is it the very newest WD TV? I think it's called the "WD TV Live Streaming" and the UI looks like this:

The previous WD TV's (WD TV, WD TV Live, WD TV Live Plus) did not support PGS subtitles in MKV files.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

The older WD TV Live (known as "WD TV Live HD Media Player") does support zlib-compressed PGS in MKV (if running the latest firmware: version 1.06.15_V, released 8/9/2011). For the "WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player", you'll want firmware version 1.06.16_B, released 8/2/2011.
Last edited by Romansh on Mon May 14, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

I could never get either of the old ones to work.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

crowfax wrote:I could never get either of the old ones to work.
Works fine here (WD TV Live "HD Media Player"; I don't have the "Plus" model, but the release notes for its latest firmware - 1.06.16_B - seem to indicate the same fix as in 1.06.15_V for the "regular" model).
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I don't remember what model I got for my dad, but, it's still not working for him so he's gonna drop it off on in a couple weeks to have me figure it out. Hopefully I can figure out what's wrong with it.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Finally working on this problem and I can't get his files to play at all. I had ripped a bunch of his movies for him a couple months ago and none of them play right. I've tried removing all subtitles and it still dies. The one I'm working on right now will play for about 10-15 seconds and then just stop. It's a WD TV Live Streaming Media Player with the latest 1.08.17 firmware. I'm really not sure what I can do about this. Anyone have any thoughts?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

That's really weird, despite some weirdness with subtitles, I've never had issues with them refusing to play files.

Are the files local or streaming?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Local on an external USB hdd. I figured if it was a subtitle compression issue I could just remove the subs to test it. All I had was an h.264 video stream and an AC/3 audio stream and it still stopped playing 10-15 seconds into it. Not sure what's going on.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Maybe this will shed some light on it. Remuxing with tsMuxer to a TS file just to see what'd happen...I get this:

Matroska parse error: invalid H264 NAL unit size. NAL unit truncated.

These were made with MakeMKV 1.7.2.