MakeMKV just stops reading.

Everything related to MakeMKV
CannGramps

MakeMKV just stops reading.

Post by CannGramps »

I've tried to rip a few Blu-rays and for some reason it just stops reading after a little while. I've gotten one movie out of about 20 to rip. I've tried different combinations of audio tracks and no audio. It doesn't give me an error of any kind, the Read Rate just drops until it hits 0 and then it sits there. I left it for several hours and it didn't change.
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV just stops reading.

Post by Woodstock »

Debug logging gives more information than standard logging (see FAQ in my signature), but consistently doing this on multiple BDs suggests a drive problem. Has the drive been cleaned recently?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
CannGramps

Post by CannGramps »

I turned on Debug Logging, but the log shows no errors, just that it's ripping the title until I stop it. I ran a drive cleaner through it, but I suppose it is an older cleaning disc so maybe it didn't work. I'll try to get a new one run it through the drive.
CannGramps

Post by CannGramps »

I got a new cleaning disc and ran it in my drives a few times, but it didn't help. I checked my Task Manager when it stopped reading and noticed the makemkvcon process I/O Read bytes keeps going up a few MBs a second. I'm not sure what makemkvcon does, but it seems like it's still reading information, but nothing else changes, and the makemkv process doesn't do anything. Still no errors or any extra information in the debug log beyond I stopped it copying.

Edit:I updated my drive. Makemkv lists it as a BD-ROM ATAPI iHOS104 WLOG(it was WLOD before the update) it reads faster, went from 2x to 4x, but it still stops reading.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Did you update firmware, or replace the drive itself? How big is the file it's trying to read from the disk?

A BD, like DVDs, can have more than one layer. DVDs have 1 or 2, BDs can have up to 4. If the disk uses more than 25GB, the next 25GB is on the second layer, next 25GB on the third, then a fourth. I haven't seen a triple-layer BD yet, but dual-layer are fairly common.

If a drive has problems with its focus mechanism, the changing of layers can be a problem.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
CannGramps

Post by CannGramps »

I updated the firmware for the drive. Most of the movies I've tried had a total disc size of over 25GBs. I looked for smaller discs and I tried four of them that were under 25GBs, but only one of them worked. The only one I was able to get to work out of all the discs I've tried.
CannGramps

Post by CannGramps »

I still haven't figured out what exactly the problem is yet, but it seems to be software related. I used DVDFab to rip some of the same Blu-rays I tried with Makemkv, and using the same drive, and they worked just fine. Although, I used Makemkv to rip some HDDVDs and they worked just fine, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with Makemkv as a general, just with Blu-rays specifically, or at least most of them.