Audio Sync problems

Everything related to MakeMKV
s.w.k

Audio Sync problems

Post by s.w.k »

This problem might be more related to XBMC then MakeMkv, but I was hoping somebody might have an idea, because it is driving me nuts.

So, I have converted over a 100 of my DVD's with makemkv, but I have discovered that in XBMC after about 10 minutes the audio gets out of sync. Testing the same file in VLC and MPC-HC there is no sync issues, works great.

However if I rip with the movie with DVDFab and then use PGCDemux and MKVmerge to make an mkv file there is no audio sync issues in XBMC. So it seems XBMC only has problems with mkv files made with MakeMKV.

It makes me think that the problem is some combination of MakeMKV and XBMC.

Searching around on both forums however, it seems either no one else is using both programs or I have a unique problem all to myself :D

I tested XBMC's problem on 3 different computers one with XP, one Vista, and one with windows 7, all had the same problem.

I sure would appreciate some ideas of what could be going on here.
NomadCF

Re: Audio Sync problems

Post by NomadCF »

Simple answer, convert mkv to ts or m2ts or other. Yhere is nothing wrong with makemkv. It's a issue with the decoder xbmc uses to play the file.

Again this is why I'm going tmakemkv adds in at least 1 other container type (ts or m2ts).
s.w.k

Post by s.w.k »

You are right. I also converted the mkv into a ts file and it worked fine. One thing I would miss though is I don't believe ts files can have chapters, I am not sure about m2ts though. That could be a solution worth looking at.

However, It still seems odd that the only mkv's that give me a problem in XBMC are those made by makemkv.
reded2323

Post by reded2323 »

I have the same issue...and I know its not a codec problem. Some MKV's from Bluray made with makemkv have the audio out of sync. the same MKV's made the old way Demuxed using tsmuxerGUI and then remuxed using mkvmerge work fine. In fact I took an MKV made with makemkv and demuxed it using tsmuxerGUI and then remuxed it with mkvmerge and it was also fine, so the streams are OK. There are some differences in the mkv headers which makes me wonder. MKV's made with your software have an extra audio field "default duration" and another audio field "minimum cache" is 0 when made with yours and 1 with mkvmerge ?

I have tested these files on 2 systems using Windows 7 32bit and 64bit. Using Zoomplayer and Windows media player/WMC. The last film to have this issue was Duplicity.

I think makemkv is great software and what we have been waiting for, I hope we can get to the bottom of this issue ?
dandirk

Post by dandirk »

I would guess maybe the difference is also causing FF/REW issue stated in my previous thread.

Essentially image gets really distorted at FF/REW speeds at 8x or higher. Tested on Zoom and MPC-HD

Tried and true rip and mkvmerge methods do not cause this issue (well reduces the issue by 90%)
reded2323

Post by reded2323 »

I'm going to do some more investigation but I think the ones that have this issue are VC1 encoded.
BinaryTB

Post by BinaryTB »

I'm having this issue with MPEG2 files, not VC1. Ripping my DVDs to MKV using MakeMKV. Happens in Boxee too:
http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=12432

It's occurring in my MKVs for Buffy The Vampire Slayer (season 4 & 5) and Angel (season 1 & 2), but not with my Extras DVDs (season 2). So it doesn't always happen.

Works great in VLC and MPC-HC.
reded2323

Post by reded2323 »

BinaryTB wrote:I'm having this issue with MPEG2 files, not VC1. Ripping my DVDs to MKV using MakeMKV. Happens in Boxee too:
http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=12432

It's occurring in my MKVs for Buffy The Vampire Slayer (season 4 & 5) and Angel (season 1 & 2), but not with my Extras DVDs (season 2). So it doesn't always happen.

Works great in VLC and MPC-HC.
This sounds like a codec issue not a mkv header issue, if it plays in some players and not others.
localfiend

Post by localfiend »

I am having the exact same problem as the OP. Files play fine in VLC ect. but the audio for the majority of my rips lose sync in XBMC.

S.W.K. - it sounds like you solved your problem by converting to a TS file. Might I ask what you used to do the conversion?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@localfiend

Hi!

Just drop the MKV file onto tsMuxER (GUI) and select the "TS" button...
reded2323

Post by reded2323 »

After testing a few more Blurays it definately only happens with VC1 disks. All other disks work great. Note: this is not a player or codec issue as the same disks converted to mkv's using TSmuxer and then mkvmerge work fine. I'm using the latest version of makemkv and now its saying in 30 days I have to pay. Unfortunatley if this issue continues in the final payed for version I will have to go back to the old method of copying. Slower but 100% garenteed.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Can you please try to pass a problem MKV through mkvmerge, and see if file produced by mmg will show the same behaivor?
reded2323

Post by reded2323 »

As I said previously, files passed through mkvmerge work fine. Either muxing them directly from tsmuxer or taking an mkv made with makemkv (out of sync) and re muxing. Both ways are in sync. I love your software so anything I can do to help.....
reded2323

Post by reded2323 »

Another clue maybe. The amount out of sync varies. You can go to a point in the movie and it be a second out and then click somewhere else and it be only a few frames out. Go back to the original point and its nearly in sync again.
BinaryTB

Post by BinaryTB »

Fixed maybe?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=66108

Can anybody test it out, as I don't know how to go about compiling XBMC.