Feature request - Length attribute

Everything related to MakeMKV
cc_in_oh

Feature request - Length attribute

Post by cc_in_oh »

Hello,

Length is displayed in the file save selection list - would it be possible to populate the Windows file LENGTH attribute in the saved files?

(New to forum - is there a better place to propose enhancements?)

Thanks,
CC
crowfax

Re: Feature request - Length attribute

Post by crowfax »

cc_in_oh wrote:(New to forum - is there a better place to propose enhancements?)
Nope, you're in the right place. Welcome to the forums.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

cc_in_oh wrote:Length is displayed in the file save selection list - would it be possible to populate the Windows file LENGTH attribute in the saved files?
Sorry, I don't understand the request. Please explain.
cc_in_oh

Post by cc_in_oh »

mike admin wrote:
cc_in_oh wrote:Length is displayed in the file save selection list - would it be possible to populate the Windows file LENGTH attribute in the saved files?
Sorry, I don't understand the request. Please explain.
Hi Mike,

MakeMKV scans a DVD and lists the titles. You check the ones you want to save. Each title has a length - h:m:s. I'm just asking if that length can be stored in the length attribute of the saved file so it can be displayed in Windows Explorer view details? As it is, I have to make it part of the file name to get that visibility.

FWIW mp4 files recorded with PlayOn/PlayLater populate Length, so I'm hoping it wouldn't be much trouble for MakeKKV to do it...

Thanks,
CC
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The length attribute is not really used by Windows Explorer in the way you think. Take an MP4 file, and rename it to have an .MPG file extension. Watch Explorer be unable to tell you how long the file is, because it can't read an MPG file. Same file, nothing changed except the extension. MP4, it can read the length. M4V, it can read. MP3, it can read. MPG, unsupported.

Since Windows has no native support for MKV files, it doesn't show the length. Even if you add MKV support to Windows Media Player, Explorer doesn't list the title length on MKV files.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cc_in_oh

Post by cc_in_oh »

Woodstock wrote:The length attribute is not really used by Windows Explorer in the way you think. Take an MP4 file, and rename it to have an .MPG file extension. Watch Explorer be unable to tell you how long the file is, because it can't read an MPG file. Same file, nothing changed except the extension. MP4, it can read the length. M4V, it can read. MP3, it can read. MPG, unsupported.

Since Windows has no native support for MKV files, it doesn't show the length. Even if you add MKV support to Windows Media Player, Explorer doesn't list the title length on MKV files.
Ah gotcha - so it's just a value that Windows knows where to find in files of a particular type? I guess that must also be the case with tags - why Windows can add them to some types but not others? And I assume the "choose details" list is an aggregate of every attribute supported in every "known" Windows file type?

Good to know - thanks!

CC
electronicsguy

Post by electronicsguy »

I can see the length for my ripped mkv files in windows 7. All you need to do is install k-lite codec pack (either 32 or 64-bit basd on your system OS). It shows you all relevant info in explorer - length, sound track types, etc.
cc_in_oh wrote:
Woodstock wrote:The length attribute is not really used by Windows Explorer in the way you think. Take an MP4 file, and rename it to have an .MPG file extension. Watch Explorer be unable to tell you how long the file is, because it can't read an MPG file. Same file, nothing changed except the extension. MP4, it can read the length. M4V, it can read. MP3, it can read. MPG, unsupported.

Ah gotcha - so it's just a value that Windows knows where to find in files of a particular type? I guess that must also be the case with tags - why Windows can add them to some types but not others? And I assume the "choose details" list is an aggregate of every attribute supported in every "known" Windows file type?

Good to know - thanks!

CC
cc_in_oh

Post by cc_in_oh »

Thanks - looks like the basic version is all I would need - what's a reliable source - CNET?

I had problems with a codec I tried last year and had to uninstall - maybe even a system restore - so I've stayed away from them since...

CC
electronicsguy

Post by electronicsguy »

Yup I just downloaded the basic version from :

http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

but make sure you download the 64-bit version, if your processor and windows OS is 64-bit. the explorer runs as a 64-bit process on those machines.
cc_in_oh wrote:Thanks - looks like the basic version is all I would need - what's a reliable source - CNET?

I had problems with a codec I tried last year and had to uninstall - maybe even a system restore - so I've stayed away from them since...

CC
cc_in_oh

Post by cc_in_oh »

Yikes - my Windows ignorance apparently knows no bounds - now I stumbled across the Details pane for useful info on the "known" file types. Even for unknown types like MKV it's helpful to be able to select multiple files to see total size...

(Sorry to have gone so far afield - I'll shut up now)

CC