Can't relase USB disc after using MakeMKV on it's files

Everything related to MakeMKV
Sinta

Can't relase USB disc after using MakeMKV on it's files

Post by Sinta »

I use MakeMKV v1.8.4 [win(x64-release)] on a windows 7 Pro system and I use it to convert some of my old DVDs to MKV files. The USB disc can not be released/unmounted after I converted something on it. It always unmounts fine if I did not use MakeMKV on it. The disc is an old Western Digital 1 TB disc. It's configured for "Quick Removal" (no caching). It looks as MakeMKV keeps some locks to the disc after it's done.
mike admin

Re: Can't relase USB disc after using MakeMKV on it's files

Post by mike admin »

Even if you quit MakeMKV???
Sinta

Post by Sinta »

Yes, even when I exited MakeMKV.

I've even tried to open it and do another rip on another drive, and then exit MakeMKV again, but the USB drive I used it on earlier is still locked. Only way to release that USB drive is by taking it offline in Disc Management (Computer | Manage).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When this happens, try opening the task manager, and see any instance of makemkv is still open. I'm pretty sure that Mike has fixed the issue where the console portion wouldn't exit properly, but it is worth a check. But, I've never seen this problem block removing a drive that MakeMKV wasn't actively using.

For what it is worth, I have the same behavior with iTunes - if I've opened iTunes, I can no longer unmount USB hard drives cleanly, because the system thinks iTunes is still accessing the drives.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging