3D Newbie - MKV SBS Mode?

Everything related to MakeMKV
NutFlush920

3D Newbie - MKV SBS Mode?

Post by NutFlush920 »

Is there any possible to make 3D MKV files using side by side or over under mode vs MVC mode? The only reason I ask is because I'm trying to make 3D mp4's to be played on my Apple TV's and Handbrake can't do the conversion of MVC MKV's. It produces a nice 2D mp4.

I see that DVDFab can make these SBS MKV's but, I'd hate to have to buy another product after already supporting MakeMKV through my purchase.

Or is here an option I haven't come across yet? I'm new to the 3D world and my LG passive 3D TV works great with SBS or TB files. Thanks for the help.
twa000

Re: 3D Newbie - MKV SBS Mode?

Post by twa000 »

NutFlush920 wrote:Is there any possible to make 3D MKV files using side by side or over under mode vs MVC mode? The only reason I ask is because I'm trying to make 3D mp4's to be played on my Apple TV's and Handbrake can't do the conversion of MVC MKV's. It produces a nice 2D mp4.

Or is here an option I haven't come across yet?
You can either set on the option by default through Advanced options or when you get the list of streams, click on the SBS make 3D mkv box for 3D streams.
NutFlush920

Post by NutFlush920 »

These options are in MakeMKV? I must be missing them. Could you please explain where to look?
twa000

Post by twa000 »

NutFlush920 wrote:These options are in MakeMKV? I must be missing them. Could you please explain where to look?
OK, once Makemkv has opened the disc, you have a list of Titles, with a little icon and tick box on the left hand side.
Click on the little icon to "open" the title information and you will see all the audio/sub title tracks etc.
If it a 3D BluRay then you will also see a video stream and a box that you can tick that says Mpeg4-MVC-3D - if you don't tick then you get a 2D mkv, tick and its 3D.
You can also select in the advanced options under preferences e.g. +sel:mvcvideo
NutFlush920

Post by NutFlush920 »

twa000 wrote:
NutFlush920 wrote:These options are in MakeMKV? I must be missing them. Could you please explain where to look?
OK, once Makemkv has opened the disc, you have a list of Titles, with a little icon and tick box on the left hand side.
Click on the little icon to "open" the title information and you will see all the audio/sub title tracks etc.
If it a 3D BluRay then you will also see a video stream and a box that you can tick that says Mpeg4-MVC-3D - if you don't tick then you get a 2D mkv, tick and its 3D.
You can also select in the advanced options under preferences e.g. +sel:mvcvideo
This part I understand however want to take the 3D version and save the MKV file as side by side or over and under not MVC. I can then run that through Handbrake, play the mp4 via AppleTV and select the appropriate 3D option (SBS or OAU) to watch in 3D on the TV set
twa000

Post by twa000 »

NutFlush920 wrote:
twa000 wrote:
NutFlush920 wrote:
This part I understand however want to take the 3D version and save the MKV file as side by side or over and under not MVC. I can then run that through Handbrake, play the mp4 via AppleTV and select the appropriate 3D option (SBS or OAU) to watch in 3D on the TV set
Sorry misunderstood - Googling "3D MVC SBS" throws up some topics that cover software to carry out this conversion.
NutFlush920

Post by NutFlush920 »

Yea I found options just wanted to see if MakeMKV could do this considering I already paid for it.
BertrandNaN

Post by BertrandNaN »

Maybe use tsmuxR which remux an mkv mvc that won't play on pch a400 for example to
an mvc iso TAB that will play fine on the pch
no re encoding
SiliconKid

Post by SiliconKid »

So much confusion about 3d, as usual.

@NutFlush920:

MakeMKV cannot convert your 3D BD rip into SBS for a very simple reason: It is not an encoder, only a ripper.

When MakeMKV rips a disc it does NOT re-encode anything, the audio and video streams stay exactly as they are. It simply puts the audio and video streams into an MKV container for you and gets rid of all the menus and trailers and other rubbish on the disc so that you only have the main move audio and video streams (and subtitles if applicable) packaged in a nice MKV when it's done.

That's why ripping is generally pretty fast.

When you are ripping a 3D BluRay, what comes off of the disc is actually MVC (basically, I'm not going to get heavily technical) and MakeMKV simply puts that into an MKV file for you. An MVC MKV actually has 2 video streams, one for the left eye and one for the right eye.

To convert that to SBS or OU requires a complete re-encode of the video whereby the frames from the 2 MVC video streams are compressed either horizontally or vertically and the frames for both eyes are then both encoded into a SINGLE 2D frame.

MakeMKV does not re-encode things and therefore cannot do that for you. You need a video encoding application to handle that, specifically one that understands 3D formats.