Ripping 4K Discs

Everything related to MakeMKV
ellab

Ripping 4K Discs

Post by ellab »

So I recently bought a blu-ray drive to backup all of my physical collection and I’ve gone through all the steps to set everything up and it seems to be working great.

I have noticed issues when trying to rip a foreign film. Maybe I’m just missing something, but it didn’t include the subtitles and I’m trying to figure out if there’s something extra I need to do to get those included.

Also, I haven’t ran into it yet, but how do you guys deal with longer movies (like LOTR) where the film is split onto two discs. Do you rip them separately and just leave them as two parts digitally?
Woodstock

Re: Ripping 4K Discs

Post by Woodstock »

Generally, MakeMKV will include subtitle tracks unless told not to. But that does not mean they'll be played back by all players. We know nothing about your settings or player at this point.

There are ways to combine multiple tracks into a single file after the fact. I've played with a few, but it is simpler to simply have the multiple files for many players, so long as they're named correctly to keep them together.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging