Couple of newbie questions

Everything related to MakeMKV
Lambec

Couple of newbie questions

Post by Lambec »

First off, let me state, I'm pretty I.T. savvy, but pretty ignorant with understanding the depth of all the various styles/layers of DVD/Blu-Ray archiving/ripping/etc.

My current setup:

12Tb NAS, Gigabit Ether (all my components are wired for streaming and not wireless. I like the huge backplane for streaming the hi-def blu-ray rips), and a Netgear NeoTV 550

1. I was mainly just converting my library (DVD/Blu-Ray) from physical to .ISO because the Netgear NeoTV 550 handles Blu-Ray .ISO really nicely.
2. I was staying with .ISO because I have/had the storage space and I'm definitely a video snob, so I try to avoid any compression.
3. I've been shifting over to a sort of media computer now and experimenting with XBMC (and finding myself liking it somewhat).
4. I purchased MakeMKV a long while ago, but forgot about it until recently.
5. I now want to utilize MakeMKV to convert my physical to virtual now just to remove all the useless crap from the .ISO (advertisements, commercials, etc). Basically I really like the .mkv file (with no compression) and how it skips all the junk I don't need and I pocket a little bit of hard drive space too.
6. My tools of the past were AnyDVD and Handbrake (that's the extent of my experience).

Okay so now my feeble questions. Hopefully someone can educate me so I can even properly search for these things too, because I'm not quite sure what the technical terms are of these questions.

Question #1 - Audio. Lets say I'm using MakeMKV to convert my Blu-Ray to an .mkv file. In the menu you have a multitude of boxes to check, and uncheck. What I'm specifically going after in this question is the audio portion. (I've included an example of how MakeMKV defualt loads Gran Torino). See how it checks DD Surround 5.1 English and then DD Surround 5.1 English again underneath that. What does that mean? \

Question #2 - Audio Still. If I select all the English Audios such as DD Surround 5.1 English and TrueHD Surround 5.1 English, will both be included in the .mkv file and, depending on the sound system, the best will be used? I hope I asked that right. I'm 100% ignorant when it comes to audio. I'd like to believe I could chose the best audio and then that's all I would need even if the current system was, say, something low end like a TV speaker bar or something.

Question #3 - Subtitles. This one is throwing me. I did a little searching on the forums and ended up getting really confused. Sometimes I have a foreign flick and I need the subtitles included. In Handbrake this was easy. Can I assume with MakeMKV as long as I have the appropriate subtitles box checked then the subtitles exist and I just need to toggle it on in my play back device of choice?

Question #4 - Subtitles. How about a movie like Blackthorn or The Wolverine. It's primarily English, but has a couple of subtitles still. Is this what is referred to as "forced only". This one is totally throwing me a curve ball and I'm trying to understand how to make an .mkv rip and the subtitles pop on only when needed for such a movie.

Thanks for any assistance or pointers you might be able to throw my way so I can learn this stuff.
Chetwood

Re: Couple of newbie questions

Post by Chetwood »

The forced only options rips only forced items, like those in Wolverine. The problem is that BDs can author forced subs in different ways so no ripper can currently detect them all. Which makes your best bet to rip all English streams (keeping forced only checked as well) and shuffle them around later. OR preview the movie, count the track numbers and only check those streams to be included which still could result in the forced sub not being the first track.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch