MakeMKV can't work while AnyDVDHD accesses a different drive

Everything related to MakeMKV
Marc_G

MakeMKV can't work while AnyDVDHD accesses a different drive

Post by Marc_G »

Hi folks,

Had an odd thing happen yesterday and I've repeated it several times. I have a DVD drive and a BD/DVD drive in my desktop machine. I was using AnyDVDHD to rip-to-.iso some Babylon5 DVD box sets my wife got me a couple years ago and figured I would at the same time rip to .MKV episodes the first couple discs of the series.

So while AnyDVDHD was making an .iso of one disc in drive "E:", I tried to use MakeMKV to access the other drive ("F:") to rip episodes straight out of the DVD. But MakeMKV reported no usable drives. I tried this a few times with the same result. Didn't matter which discs were in which drive. Other applications such as DVD players had no trouble accessing the F: drive. Just MakeMKV wouldn't use it. PRoblem went away as soon as AnyDVDHD stopped ripping the other disc.

I know MakeMKV will pop up a potential incompatibility warning if AnyDVDHD is running, but in this case I didn't even get that far...

I didn't save the log before it got replaced later on, but if this is unfamiliar I can turn it on and repeat the exercise to generate a log. Basically, I opened MakeMKV and it reported no usable drives, end of story.

Is this a known issue?

Marc
setarip_old

Re: MakeMKV can't work while AnyDVDHD accesses a different drive

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

It sounds like MakeMKV is one of MANY, MANY programs that can only have one iteration running...
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Thank you for reporting. Only one program can have exclusive access to the drive at a time and it looks that AnyDVD ripper locks all other drives while working.
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Thanks for the quick replies, guys!

Setarip: I only had one instance of MakeMKV open. I wanted to rip to MKV one disc while AnyDVD-ing the other.

Mike: While AnyDVD was working on one drive, player software (MPC-HC) was able to access the other drive so it wasn't locked out. Also, even having a virtual drive going (an iso mounted) didn't work either.

Any other thoughts?

Marc
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

As has been posted at this and many other forums, it appears that there are varying circumstances under whichAnyDVD can interfere with the proper performance of MakeMKV. Perhaps you've come across yet another such circumstance...
michelkenny

Post by michelkenny »

In the AnyDVD options, you can disable it on a per-drive basis. You should be able to access those disabled drives in MakeMKV. I have it working like that since I have AnyDVD only enabled on my blu-ray drive, and MakeMKV can still access both my DVD drives.
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

OK everybody. Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

Marc
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Just as a further note, while AnyDVDHD was backing up to .iso a bluray just now, I used DVDFab to reauthor one of my kids' discs (so it would play without menus) and IMGBurn to burn the new iso to a blanc disc. Worked fine. When IMGBurn was done I loaded MakeMKV and it couldn't find any usable discs until AnyDVDHD was done.

So far MakeMKV is the only application I've found that has trouble accessing "drive 2" while AnyDVDHD is accessing "drive 1." Just a data point for you.

Next I'll try per-disc disabling AnyDVD to see if that fixes it, but since everybody else can use the drive, shouldn't MakeMKV?

Marc
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

OK, disabling the drive in AnyDVDHD didn't work either. I disabled in AnyDVDHD the drive I wanted MakeMKV to use, started ripping an .iso with AnyDVDHD with the other drive, then plopped in a disc for MakeMKV to rip in the drive that AnyDVDHD is now ignoring.

MakeMKV still reports no usable drives. HEre's the log:

Debug log started at Sat Feb 27 01:30:56 2010 , written by MakeMKV v1.4.12 beta win(x64-release)
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.4.12 beta win(x64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\PRIVACY/MakeMKV_log.txt
005042:0000 The program can't find any usable optical drives.

This is a shame because a common-for-me use case would be to be doing some things with AnyDVDHD in my BD drive while doing other things with MakeMKV in the other drive.

Again, I've successfully used the following programs with the other drive while AnyDVDHD accesses the first drive:
-DVDShrink
-IMGBurn
-MPC-HC
-PowerDVD
-WindowsMEdiaPlayer

Only MakeMKV has any trouble accessing the second drive. I think it's seeing AnyDVDHD activity on the first drive and deciding it can't access any drives. I hope this can be fixed in the non-beta version. Perhaps it's defaulting to the drive AnyDVDHD is using and doesn't know to go search other drives?

Marc
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Marc_G wrote: I think it's seeing AnyDVDHD activity on the first drive and deciding it can't access any drives. I hope this can be fixed in the non-beta version. Perhaps it's defaulting to the drive AnyDVDHD is using and doesn't know to go search other drives?
Marc
You're right, problem confirmed and will be fixed.
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Awesome. You rock!