Hidden Scenes

Everything related to MakeMKV
Galaxy_Stranger

Hidden Scenes

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

Howdy ho!

I've encountered a weird thing here. On my X-Files dvds, they put some deleted scenes on the discs. You know - it's the thing where it puts a graphic on the screen to let you know when to click it to play the hidden content - in this case, clicking on an "X" during the episode takes you to a deleted scene.

No matter what process I use, makemkv included, I can't seem to locate these scenes in order to rip them. Is this a known thing? Is there something I'm not doing correctly? MakeMKV seems to only be able to see the regular episode content. Is there a way to get to this seemingly hidden content?

TIA.

-=[EDIT]=-
FYI, I just noticed that on the "The Lost Boys" dvd, the Theatrical Trailer is on the dvd and yet makemkv can't see it - just like the x-files deleted scenes.
Woodstock

Re: Hidden Scenes

Post by Woodstock »

Java-based "easter eggs" are not something that fits in an MKV file right now. There are some other discussions about that here on the forum.

As for deleted scenes, have you changed your default "Minimum title length (seconds)" to something smaller than the 120 MakeMKV normally uses? First page of the preferences....
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Galaxy_Stranger

Thanks for the tip - I just built a new machine and hadn't adjusted the min time yet.

BUT - that didn't help. All that garnered me was the 20th Century Fox home video intro.

I'm not familiar with this Java easter egg thing. I'm not interested in including it with the episode as it does in the DVD, I just want to rip it to its own file so I have it.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

DVD doesn't have Java... It has a limited ability to script but mostly it has angles and seamless branching, both of which should show up via MakeMKV...

Look here:

http://www.dvdstudiopro.co.uk/tutorials ... ries-mean/

As far as I can tell it's impossible to jump OUTSIDE of the title system, so MakeMKV SHOULD be listing the deleted scenes somewhere.
Galaxy_Stranger

Yeah - I guess that's the basic problem: deleted scenes don't show up in their own titles at all. I've confirmed that the deleted scenes are there and I can play them normally, just can't find them on the disc for ripping.

Anybody know of any alternative tools to try out? I also use AnyDVDHD and Handbrake in my process. I'd really like to avoid DVDFab.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Try switching between "Cell Walk" and "Cell Step" or whatever the hell those options are.

The clips MUST be there somewhere, there's nothing in the DVD command set that tells the player to play an arbitrary part of a VOB file.

Maybe you just need to look harder.
Last edited by ndjamena on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Galaxy_Stranger

I will try playing with those settings.

Ok, a friend suggested that I try the now defunct DVD Decrypter. Weird result. I'm working with a DVD .iso image file that I had ripped with AnyDVDHD. DVD Decrypter can spill out the contents into its various .vob and .ifo files, etc.

I identified a .vob file that I contains the deleted scene in question, but MakeMKV can't open it, and Handbrake has problems with it as well. This .vob contains different things like the DVD Menus and the audio doesn't seem to sync. At the point of the deleted scene, there is simply some background music.

I confirmed that the deleted scene in question does, indeed, contain NO audio. Ok, so I loaded the .vob into Handbrake and started playing with ripping a specific time frame in seconds. After a bit of playing around, I got the entire scene into .mkv format - perfectly playable with no hiccups. Using the same process, I was able to extract the theatrical trailer off of the "The Lost Boys" dvd.

So, problem solved.

As DVD Decrypter is outdated and will eventually not even run on conventional systems, is there an alternative program that can rip the raw .vob files off of a DVD that is currently being developed?

-=[EDIT]=-
Changing between "Cell Walk" and "Cell Step" didn't seem to have any effect, except that Cell Step ignored the smaller title for the 20th Century Fox Home Video intro.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

If you don't want DVDFab... AnyDVD. There are probably others but DVDFab, AnyDVD and MakeMKV are the big three.

... what do you mean by NO AUDIO ... and sync issues. If there are "gaps" in the audio track in the vob then that would cause problems. Technically Matroska is capable of having "gaps" in a stream but most people would rather believe it can't.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Actually, this sounds like a bug in MakeMKV which is why I didn't recommend another program in the first place.

You should try emailing Mike with the details and see if there's anything he can do about it.
Galaxy_Stranger

Thanks for the input.

First, I noticed that when I played the deleted scene normally via the DVD and its options, the scene would play - but with no audio. When I ripped with DVD Decrypter, the resulting .vob would play through VLC and seemed to play video with some skipped parts. When the deleted scene played - there was background music. I then did a little homework on the DVD release and verified that that scene specifically had no audio on the DVD for some reason. So I know that doesn't have anything to do with the rip.

At that point, I opened the .vob with Handbrake. Apparently, handbrake had problems tracking the time. When I started encoding at the beginning of the deleted scene, it would end the video before the scene ended. So I extended the time range past what Handbrake said was the end - and it took it. Eventually I got to the end of the scene and all was good. Essentially, the same thing happened with The Lost Boys trailer, with much less drama - and the audio is synced properly.

Who is this Mike you speak of? I'll refer him to this thread as it really describes what happened.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I think it's support@makemkv.com, unless it's changed.

He'd want the .ifo files to look at, maybe some other things.

It's possible he already knows about these things and has written them off as "too hard" but you never know. Developers aren't all knowing.

And it does seem there's a part of the viewing experience that simply cannot be accessed by MakeMKV at all, which in a perfect world really shouldn't be happening.

Unless of course you missed something...
Galaxy_Stranger

Always a possibility. I noticed that up until now I never saw the video for the DVD menu, whereas Bluray has the menus in their own titles. Now, I can see the DVD menu via the raw .vob file.

(Incidentally, Becket has the Rambo III bluray menu buried in there. Why? Because Rambo kicks that much ass!)
QuantumBlade

Post by QuantumBlade »

Hello! Apologies for necro-ing an old thread, but I found it while searching for an answer and it is right on topic.

Just wanted to add that I have a VERY old DVD of the movie War Games (1983) that also has a theatrical trailer that MakeMKV can't seem to see. Not sure the year the DVD release happened. Package design was from 1998. Seems to be a rare corner case, but evidently these things do happen. I wonder if its only with older DVDs?