www.makemkv.com

MakeMKV support forum
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:59 pm
Posts: 3
Hi Kenneth,

I have been testing your application and I am trying to understand how to view the details of any errors that are thrown by MakeMKV for each title processed. I have enabled error logging and I see the MakeMKV output to a file in the Event Viewer when a new file is analyzed – this appears to be the same information that MakeMKV displays when a new file is analyzed. However, any subsequent errors shown by MakeMKV (after the conversion starts) are not shown in the Event Viewer. I have tested this multiple times and can easily reproduce it. If there is a setting somewhere that will show these errors, please advise. If not, I would like to request it be added as a feature. As it stands now, files are shown to be converted successfully, but some actually have errors encountered by MakeMKV (which may or may not be ok to ignore). If need be, I can provide examples of what I am referring to.

If you do make a fix for this, please do not simply add it to the Event Viewer as part of the current error logging. Taking this approach would require that each and every Event Log entry be reviewed individually for each file. For large batches, this would be extremely cumbersome. Rather, please take the approach that only those files which have an error thrown by MakeMKV after the start of the conversion, be shown. Ideally, these types of errors would be shown regardless of whether Error Logging is enabled, or if there are concerns about performance, then it could be enabled via a separate flag in the settings. If the Event Log must be used (if there is no reasonable alternative for you to show this in the application), then please do so via a separate Event Log section, so that just the post-conversions errors are shown, and only for files which encounter errors. When a user runs a large batch conversion, these errors (if any) are the ones that will need review.

Separately, I am not sure if you are aware that when the Filename is set to ‘Based on title name’, which is the default setting on a new install, there can be an issue. For any title which has a character which is invalid for a file name (a colon most commonly), the conversion will fail. This is of course is an easy fix in the GUI, but it requires manually reviewing each filename and manually editing those which need to adjusted – that is extremely cumbersome for large batches. If you could simply add code to atomically replace invalid filename characters with valid alternatives, that would be great. For example, replace all colons with hyphens, and so forth.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:53 pm
Posts: 59
mwijas wrote:
I have been testing your application and I am trying to understand how to view the details of any errors that are thrown by MakeMKV for each title processed. I have enabled error logging and I see the MakeMKV output to a file in the Event Viewer when a new file is analyzed – this appears to be the same information that MakeMKV displays when a new file is analyzed. However, any subsequent errors shown by MakeMKV (after the conversion starts) are not shown in the Event Viewer. I have tested this multiple times and can easily reproduce it. If there is a setting somewhere that will show these errors, please advise. If not, I would like to request it be added as a feature. As it stands now, files are shown to be converted successfully, but some actually have errors encountered by MakeMKV (which may or may not be ok to ignore). If need be, I can provide examples of what I am referring to.


I would very much appreciate if you can provide some examples of what you are referring to, and I will be sure to look into this. You can just send the examples via PM.

mwijas wrote:
If you do make a fix for this, please do not simply add it to the Event Viewer as part of the current error logging. Taking this approach would require that each and every Event Log entry be reviewed individually for each file. For large batches, this would be extremely cumbersome. Rather, please take the approach that only those files which have an error thrown by MakeMKV after the start of the conversion, be shown. Ideally, these types of errors would be shown regardless of whether Error Logging is enabled, or if there are concerns about performance, then it could be enabled via a separate flag in the settings. If the Event Log must be used (if there is no reasonable alternative for you to show this in the application), then please do so via a separate Event Log section, so that just the post-conversions errors are shown, and only for files which encounter errors. When a user runs a large batch conversion, these errors (if any) are the ones that will need review.


Thanks, I will take this into consideration.

mwijas wrote:
Separately, I am not sure if you are aware that when the Filename is set to ‘Based on title name’, which is the default setting on a new install, there can be an issue. For any title which has a character which is invalid for a file name (a colon most commonly), the conversion will fail. This is of course is an easy fix in the GUI, but it requires manually reviewing each filename and manually editing those which need to adjusted – that is extremely cumbersome for large batches. If you could simply add code to atomically replace invalid filename characters with valid alternatives, that would be great. For example, replace all colons with hyphens, and so forth.


I was not aware of this error, there's already supposed to be a function to replace these characters where they are not valid. I will look into this.

_________________
BatchMKV - free Windows-based batch processing software for MakeMKV


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:59 pm
Posts: 3
Just sent you a PM with file attachment with the details.

FYI, my testing was with the beta version you posted to this thread on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:22 am.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:39 pm
Posts: 1
Thanks for making this great tool.

:D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:40 pm
Posts: 2
I'm not having any luck - I'm just getting a red bar with a "failed" status. The most obvious problem would be user name / permissions. So I opened notepad and saved a "test" file into the destination directory with no problem. I'm not sure where the logs are or what to do next........


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group