I have been testing your application and I am trying to understand how to view the details of any errors that are thrown by MakeMKV for each title processed. I have enabled error logging and I see the MakeMKV output to a file in the Event Viewer when a new file is analyzed – this appears to be the same information that MakeMKV displays when a new file is analyzed. However, any subsequent errors shown by MakeMKV (after the conversion starts) are not shown in the Event Viewer. I have tested this multiple times and can easily reproduce it. If there is a setting somewhere that will show these errors, please advise. If not, I would like to request it be added as a feature. As it stands now, files are shown to be converted successfully, but some actually have errors encountered by MakeMKV (which may or may not be ok to ignore). If need be, I can provide examples of what I am referring to.
I would very much appreciate if you can provide some examples of what you are referring to, and I will be sure to look into this. You can just send the examples via PM.
If you do make a fix for this, please do not simply add it to the Event Viewer as part of the current error logging. Taking this approach would require that each and every Event Log entry be reviewed individually for each file. For large batches, this would be extremely cumbersome. Rather, please take the approach that only those files which have an error thrown by MakeMKV after the start of the conversion, be shown. Ideally, these types of errors would be shown regardless of whether Error Logging is enabled, or if there are concerns about performance, then it could be enabled via a separate flag in the settings. If the Event Log must be used (if there is no reasonable alternative for you to show this in the application), then please do so via a separate Event Log section, so that just the post-conversions errors are shown, and only for files which encounter errors. When a user runs a large batch conversion, these errors (if any) are the ones that will need review.
Thanks, I will take this into consideration.
Separately, I am not sure if you are aware that when the Filename is set to ‘Based on title name’, which is the default setting on a new install, there can be an issue. For any title which has a character which is invalid for a file name (a colon most commonly), the conversion will fail. This is of course is an easy fix in the GUI, but it requires manually reviewing each filename and manually editing those which need to adjusted – that is extremely cumbersome for large batches. If you could simply add code to atomically replace invalid filename characters with valid alternatives, that would be great. For example, replace all colons with hyphens, and so forth.
I was not aware of this error, there's already supposed to be a function to replace these characters where they are not valid. I will look into this.
- free Windows-based batch processing software for MakeMKV