volume key is unknown - makemkv cannot find discattd.dat

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
mattmkv

volume key is unknown - makemkv cannot find discattd.dat

Post by mattmkv »

Hi!

I got an encrypted disc copy of a Blu-ray disc and I want to decrypt it with MakeMKV.
MakeMKV v1.9.8 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\User1/MakeMKV_log.txt
Opening files on harddrive at X:/JURASSICWORLD_UPB1
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
DEBUG: Code 0 at >Hmsaqd5WWl@rl$x:121264073
DEBUG: Code 0 at >Hmsaqd5WWl@rl$x:29397403
Failed to open disc
I copied the file discattd.dat into the JURASSICWORLD_UPB1 folder.

Additionally I copied the file MKB_v46_JURASSICWORLD_UPB1.tgz into the MakeMKV folder (C:\Users\User1\.MakeMKV). The files discattd.dat and MKB_v46_JURASSICWORLD_UPB1.tgz are from previous rips of this disc.

I found something in the FAQ (/faq/item/11) but I can't find an AACS keys directory in my preferences.
Woodstock

Re: volume key is unknown - makemkv cannot find discattd.dat

Post by Woodstock »

There is no AACS key repository in MakeMKV.

Not sure what you're trying to do with this. What happens when you rip the disk directly?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mattmkv

Post by mattmkv »

Woodstock wrote:There is no AACS key repository in MakeMKV.
Sorry, I think this is the right FAQ article:
http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/12

I can't find the 'AACS keys directory'.
Woodstock wrote:Not sure what you're trying to do with this.
I want to compare an old MakeMKV (decrypted) disc rip with a ddrescue image of the blu-ray disc. (I want to decrypt the ddrescue image and later compare the files of both rips)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You missed a key point in the FAQ:
MakeMKV can process an incomplete blu-ray disc backup as long as volume key is known for that disc. Incomplete backup is an encrypted backup without a volume id part, the most common case being ISO image from PS3 system or files plainly copied from blu-ray disc. In order to open such disc a disc-specific key must be supplied to MakeMKV via text file in AACS key directory. First, you need to set an "AACS keys directory" in preferences; then you need to put a keyfile with disc for your key into this directory. MakeMKV will scan all files in this directory and will accept key in any format. Group of volunteers maintains a decent key database at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120988 . Be sure to download the latest keydb_bd file and unpack it into your AACS keys directory.
You won't find the directory if you have not created it. However, there is also no preferences item for an AACS key directory, so this probably applies to an earlier version of MakeMKV, rather than current.

That said, the directory pointed to by Preferences->General->MakeMKV data directory is used for a lot of things... including SVQ files and user-created profiles. It may be that you can use this directory for placing the key from the doom9 forum.
mattmkv

Post by mattmkv »

Woodstock wrote:It may be that you can use this directory for placing the key from the doom9 forum.
Thank you, sir! :)

I put the file KEYDB.cfg into my MakeMKV folder (C:\Users\User1\.MakeMKV) and it worked. Now I can decrypt the raw image (ddrescue) of the Blu-ray.
RoflTom

Post by RoflTom »

Ok looks like i have the same problem with Fantastic Beasts.
Is there a way to get that key or do i have to wait until someone releases this key?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you're ripping directly from the disk and MakeMKV cannot generate the proper key, please follow the steps in the FAQ link in my signature so that Mike can look at it.

It is rare that MakeMKV needs to look up a volume key, EXCEPT when dealing with an ISO instead of the actual disk.
T'hain Esh Kelch

Post by T'hain Esh Kelch »

RoflTom wrote:Ok looks like i have the same problem with Fantastic Beasts.
Is there a way to get that key or do i have to wait until someone releases this key?
I had the same error on the same Blu-ray (At least, same title), and ejecting/re-inserting the disc just made MakeMKV immediately reject it. I then disconnected the drive and took away power, and reconnected, and then it worked fine.