where does makeMKV save its prefs?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
skypickle

where does makeMKV save its prefs?

Post by skypickle »

I changed something in the advanced section of the prefs and now I get this error:

Profile parsing error: Invalid token '-sel:-sel:all'

So I want to reset my prefs to default. I uninstalled and reinstalled makeMKV but it came back with the same error. I found the xml file in the app dir and the profile settings for Default are:

app_DefaultSelectionString="-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang|single),-sel:(havemulti|havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang"

So what did I do to upset makeMKV?
Woodstock

Re: where does makeMKV save its prefs?

Post by Woodstock »

Varies with the operating system.

Windows stores them in the registry, at the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MakeMKV

But user-modified profile XML files should be stored in the MakeMKV data directory, which is set in Preferences->General.

And the profile in use contains the "real" default selection string. But, it won't be selectable if there is a parsing error in the file.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
A_Man_Eating_Duck

Post by A_Man_Eating_Duck »

There any way of stopping the user-modded profile from being deleted when you upgrade MakeMKV?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Woodstock wrote:But user-modified profile XML files should be stored in the MakeMKV data directory, which is set in Preferences->General.
During the install, nothing is touched in the MakeMKV data directory. Anything in the program directory... Well, that's considered fair game.

Once I learned this, I stopped having to back up and restore my profiles. The default ones that come with MakeMKV can stay in the program directory, because they get "tweaked" every so often. But copy them to the data directory before editing them and making them "your own".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging