5.1 Flac at greater than 48Khz from Blu-Ray - help

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
electro

5.1 Flac at greater than 48Khz from Blu-Ray - help

Post by electro »

This is a fundamental requirement of software like this, but I've spent hours trying to make it work without success, and read endless posts from people saying "all you ned to do is check the audio track only and choose flac in advanced settings", but it doesn't work!

I have tried 2 methods.

1. Backup Blu-Ray and use DVD Audio Extractor - 48Khz limit even when I can see the disk has 6 channel DTS HD Master Audio 96Khz

2. Extract using the .flac option in MKV advanced settings.
I get a .mkv file even though I have asked for a .flac ? - this is crazy - why not get a 5.1 flac at this point? Why make it so hard?
I try to use iMKV extract to get a flac from this .mkv file and get a file called audio1.??? - which does not play as a music file
The dialogue boxes for this ap appear in French!

Surely without having to buy any more applications MKV should be able to perform the simple task of Blu ray disk DTS-HD MA to 5.1 Flac ?

Hopefully I'm missing something.
I think this should be one of the tutorials on the MKV website?
Woodstock

Re: 5.1 Flac at greater than 48Khz from Blu-Ray - help

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV makes MKV files... Within the MKV, your audio tracks are encoded in different ways. If you are converting to FLAC, the type of the audio stream will change, but the file extension won't.

As for what happens when converting to FLAC, I can't help there - never seen a reason to bother. But a lot of others here do it on a regular basis.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
electro

Re: 5.1 Flac at greater than 48Khz from Blu-Ray - help

Post by electro »

So you say that Make MKV just makes MKV files and there is no way of outputting a .flac - even though you say that "lots of others here do it on a regular basis?"

Perhaps one of those could enlighten me :D

The point is to enjoy the 5.1 surround audio from blu-ray concerts etc played just as audio through my multichannel system - I don't always want to watch it, Some Blu-Ray audio disks have no picture anyway.

Most people rip their CD's to their music library to enjoy in various ways, I wish to do the same with Blu-Ray audio tracks!

This is easy to do with SACD's (using a PS3) and also with DVDAudio disks using DVD Audio Extractor

Seems to be very difficult specifically with DTS HD Master Audio - despite my having the appropriate decoder referenced in the advanced setting tab of preferences.