Manual mode for mkv-files

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
(O_O)

Manual mode for mkv-files

Post by (O_O) »

Is it possible to open mkv-files in manual mode?

That would make it possible for me to split the files in chapters using the mkv-file, instead of having to start all over again with the dvd's...
Woodstock

Re: Manual mode for mkv-files

Post by Woodstock »

Have you looked at mkvtoolnix? mkvmerge from that tool set can split MKV files on chapter boundaries.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
(O_O)

Post by (O_O) »

Thank you for your fast reply!
Yes, I tried Mkvmerge for splitting the files into the different chapters, and that works very good.
The only problem I have is that after the splitting, I have to open each file again individually (in Makemkv or other program) to rename the title of each file. In Makemkv I could do this directly.

I just thought that, since the functionallity is already available in Makemkv to open dvd's in manual mode, it couldn't be that difficult to add this possibility when opening mkv-files?
Also, I like Makemkv better than Mkvmerge :wink:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Study the command syntax a bit on mkvmerge (the GUI interface will show you the syntax) and you can make a batch file to split/name files, and even modify meta data.

I don't use it as much now as I used to, but, prior to getting devices that would handle BD subtitles, I'd merge the subtitles from DVD rips with the video and sound from BD, and modify file names along the way.
(O_O)

Post by (O_O) »

Woodstock wrote:Study the command syntax a bit on mkvmerge (the GUI interface will show you the syntax) and you can make a batch file to split/name files, and even modify meta data.
Mkvmerge spilts the files into the chapters that I want, but I can't find an easy way to rename the individual files to the chapters names... (it names each file the same as the original file, but appending (1), (2) and so on to the end of the filename). It seems like the easiest way now is me manually renaming the titles and the names of the files myself when the process is finished.

But I'll give the syntax a look and see if I can find a better solution.

Is it, pretty please, really not possible to add manual mode for mkv-files?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you have a text editor (Notepad works, but I prefer UltraEdit, for a LOT of reasons), you can set up the first "break-up" and use the GUI's "copy to clipboard" button.

Paste the command line into the editor multiple times - once for each chapter.

You really only need to change the chapter number and the output file name on the individual lines. If you have multiple MKV files that need the same treatment, the input file name can be changed, too.

Save this as a file with the extension ".bat", and you can run it in a CMD prompt.

If you want to play with it more, you could create a batch file that has one line to contain the options, and use "argument substitution" to call it as many times as needed. Something like:

splitmkv.bat sourcefile.mkv outputfile-1.mkv 1

(batch file name, input file name, output file name, which chapter to put in the output file)

I do the same thing for handbrake.