Feature Request: Multiple favorite languages

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Squazz

Feature Request: Multiple favorite languages

Post by Squazz »

I have seen others touch this subject, but havn't found any definitive answer for if it is possible or not.

I live in Denmark, and would love to rip my movies with english audio and subtitles. Furthermore would I love to also always include the danish audio and the danish subtitles if they are present.

As it is at the moment, I'm setting the default language to english, and are then looking through audio and subtitles for danish entries.
This seems to be the solution that is my best case, but it would be fantastisk if I in some way could choose more than one language as my "default"/favorite language.

Does anyone know if this is possible in any way? Or is this something I would have to request as a feature request?
Last edited by Squazz on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Multiple favorite languages

Post by Woodstock »

Your best bet is to NOT select a favorite language in MakeMKV, and let it rip all languages.

Since I process everything I rip through handbrake, I use its preferred language selection; you can give handbrake multiple languages to include by default.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Squazz

Post by Squazz »

Woodstock wrote:Your best bet is to NOT select a favorite language in MakeMKV, and let it rip all languages.

Since I process everything I rip through handbrake, I use its preferred language selection; you can give handbrake multiple languages to include by default.
Thanks for your reply, but that is not an option for me.
I like to trim as much "fat"/unneeded content as possible now that I can. Mostly because I want as few options as possible when I watch the movie in Kodi.

Also, I don't run it through Handbrake afterwards. The time & energy (cost) used to compress the movie is too much compared to what I get. I have an abundance of space (24TB and counting) ad no problems streaming the movies in-house.
If I change to Plex one day, I might consider it for out-of-the-house streaming. But all of this is an another topic ;)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I do agree with you that it would be REALLY NICE to have the ability to select multiple preferred languages. More specifically, a "preferred language" and "also get" list, similar to how handbrake implemented this.

The best I've seen is changing the selection rule in the advanced settings or in a profile, to hard code a list of languages to rip.

Just be aware that eliminating audio tracks is not saving you much space. Try it some time - rip a title with one audio track only, then two you want, and then "all" tracks, from a typical Region B BD, and you'll see MAYBE 2% difference in size between "only 1" and "all". It's the video that takes up the most space, and it isn't particularly well compressed.

But, that's up to you. While your collection is still this small, you don't have to worry too much. 24TB is a good start. That's about a thousand or so BD movies, 4 times that if they're DVD.

If I wasn't compressing video, though, I'd already have outgrown my current 28TB array about 3 years ago. Using handbrake has reduced the BD Anime files to around 20% of original size (a 5.5GB episode comes down to 1.1GB or less), and live-action stuff to 15-30% of original for the same resolution (Star Trek First Contact went from 23.8GB to 3.6GB).

As for speed and energy, if you have an Intel processor with QSV, and are willing to give up some compression efficiency (about 10%), QSV can encode the files at about 10 times the speed of software encoders. A good Plex server would have QSV hardware available to it, for best flexibility in serving a variety of devices, whether you use handbrake or not.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Re: Feature Request: Multiple favorite languages

Post by Chetwood »

My selection rule for German first and English second:

app_DefaultSelectionString="-sel:all,+sel:(deu|eng|nolang),-sel:(core),-10:(forced*(eng)),-15:(deu),-20:(forced*(deu))"

could be applied to Danish easily.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch