How to select ONLY MVC video?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
falconeye

How to select ONLY MVC video?

Post by falconeye »

I'd like to select ONLY the MVC video track when producing an MKV from MKV.

After converting a 3D bluray to MKV, I obtain an MKV with both a standard, and a 3D MVC video track. I can select/unselect the additional MVC track.

However, I would like be able to select the MVC track as the ONLY video track (thereby becoming the output MKV's main video track).

This way, I could create a left(right eye MKV from an MVC-MKV. And merge both into a SBS mp4 easily.

Is it possible with a command line like -sel:all +sel:mvcvideo ?

Kind regards,
Falk
Woodstock

Re: How to select ONLY MVC video?

Post by Woodstock »

As I understand it, the MVC track is the DIFFERENCE between the left/right eyes, and is useless without the "base".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
falconeye

Post by falconeye »

Thanks, that's what I now figured out too after reading that MVC is a coding extension to AVC rather than another track.

To visualize it as MVC track maybe isn't the best possible representation in the UI. But now I got it, thanks.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

But it IS a separate track - it is not needed if you are viewing the movie as 2D. It's just as "connected" as the audio, subtitle, and chapter tracks, in that they work together, but do different things.

How else would you suggest representing it?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Sagacity

Post by Sagacity »

It may be useful to categorize the tracks based on content type. For example, the way I would categorize things is as such;

Video Tracks, Audio Tracks, Supplementary Video Tracks (IE 3D information), Supplementary Audio Tracks (IE Subtitle Information)

I think this sort of categorizing of tracks would make the program quite a bit more user friendly as well. Of course, this may be a bit unnecessary, and perhaps better to leave to 3rd party GUIs.